How to speed up the performance of my computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

sk8boarder1414

Baseband Member
Does anyone know of anything on all computers or a program thats free that can speed up my computer? cause its a bit slow, laggy starting up and while im on it.

My specs

3.0 GHZ HT PENT 4
512 MB RAM
160 GB Hardrive
6600 GT Geforce

---------------------------

my computer shoulddnt be laggy with these specs

How full and defragmented is your hard drive? Also, how long has it been since you reformatted and reinstalled Windows?

Elbatrop1 said:
How full and defragmented is your hard drive? Also, how long has it been since you reformatted and reinstalled Windows?

Ditto that.

A little more RAM might help. Get a gig or two.

No program can "speed up" your computer. What you need is LESS programs.

Check the startup programs that you have, if you have useless stuff, then take em off startup.

Plus you run an Intel, you're bound to have laggy startups etc.

Of course, do monthly defragments, disk scans. Do weekly scans for viruses and other malware.

check if your case is cooled nicely, overheating could cause your components to not work as fast as it should.

You can always upgrade the ram, but I seriously doubt that would help.

Assuming you havent checked the basics:

Check your startup programs - go to Start:run:type msconfig:hit enter:startup tab:then go through and remove any unneccessary startup programs that may not be needed

If you havent done so yet, scan for spyware/viruses

I would start there, then maybe look at doing a system restore (research it first) or if push comes to shove reformat:eek:

the basics of improving performance

uncheck unecessary startup programs (MSCONFIG)
defragment hard drive
scan for adwares/spywares

your RAM is ok. but if u play games or have multiple programs running and your computer is slowing down, consider upgrading your RAM

also, if u have big files (musics,movies,softwares) saved on your C: drive where your OS resides, that can also cause performance problem. consider it placing them in a separate partition or HD

mdogg1108 said:
Just wondering... Would a optimizer make it go even a little faster?.
NO!! those are adwares. i get popups of those. i consider them spywares as well

Registry cleaners are great too. Go to majorgeeks.com and download the trial version of regsupreme.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom