Direct X 10 | Shader 4.0 = All Current Video Cards not good enough!

Status
Not open for further replies.
003 said:

EDIT:
Will DirectX 9 install on Vista?

Nope, hence what we've been saying about MS cutting backwards compatability. I imagine game developers will release games in DX9 for XP users and in DX10 for Vista users during the transition period. At least I hope so.

Well then I am going to have to agree with quest1on on this one. I cant believe you and other people are just sitting back and swallowing this steaming pile of **** that microsoft is feeding you.

It enraged me when I first heard it like its enraging you now, 003. But just think about it....cutting backwards compatability will give MS and the gaming industry much more room to move forward, so things will be better in the long run. This will also force people still hanging on Windows 95/98/ME to move on, which is a great number of the non-enthusiast computer user population. To them, there is no reason to even move to XP because all software still supports 9x. This is going to force the average user into the 21st century and make things better for the gamer as well.

Once again, as I've said before, I am keeping my current system completely intact for playing current games, rather than trying to emulate them on Vista.

BandwidthHogg said:
But just think about it....cutting backwards compatability will give MS and the gaming industry much more room to move forward
No it wont! It will just p iss everybody who dosn't have an extra $2500 laying around off! Leaving support for older versions of DirectX would not degrade performance, who came up with that!?!?

003 said:
No it wont! It will just p iss everybody who dosn't have an extra $2500 laying around off!

This is likely to be remedied, as I said in my last post, by game developers releasing two compilations of games, one for DX9 and one for DX10 during the transition period. While Microsoft will be pushing Vista much, much harder than it pushed XP, they still can't expect everybody to upgrade right on release.

Hes right, backward compatibility makes it harder to boost performance and come out w/ better technology. If they could come out w/ video cards that didnt need to be run on 95 through Xp then we would probably have better video cards cause they have to take so much time in making it right for everything which is alot of coding work. If your gonna not get Vista then stop your *****ing if you are then stop your *****ing anyway. I know i dont want to hear and im sure alot of others dont either. Whether we want to sit here and migrate to something better has nothing to do w/ you and quite frankly we dont care if you dont want to. Personaly i want to see the industry migrate to being better and make ppl get newer technology so that way there your grandma w/ that 98SE computer wont be lagging my new video card down.

Of course I want to migrate to something better, but I also dont want to totally drop support for previous games. For example. You say the games will be emulated through DX10. Right. That will cut games performance by like 15-20%, if not more. Take FEAR or UT2007 for example. They are games that we can barely run well when not emulated. They will run like **** on vista. Yeah, you back it up with "Just get a powerful video card and you wont notice the slowdowns." Well in case you haven't noticed, I'm not rich. I don't have $750 to shell out on a video card. And I just realized something. The GeForce 7 series is windows vista certified, and yet it only supports DirectX 9. So that means that you WILL be able to use DX9 on vista, unless "certified" means something totlally different.

If UT2007 is released after Vista comes out, it will be released in DX10. If its released before, that game will be such a big hit that there will be a DX10 patch for it allowing it to run at full potential on Vista. I'm not worried there.

UT2007 is based on DirectX 9 and thats not changing. The engine is already done. They would have to make a new engine for it to be DX10. And what about games like UT2004? this is such a load of BS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom