Building a PC...are these parts compatible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tamim

Baseband Member
CPU
AMD Athlon 64 3000 (1.8 GHz, 1600 FSB, Socket 939)

Motherboard
Asus A8N-VM (Socket 939, Dual Channel DDR400, SATA II, 5.1 built in spec sheet

Memory
OCZ Gold Series Dual Channel 1GB 2x512MB Winbond BH-5 RAM

Video Card
Gigabyte GeForce 6600GT 128 MB DDR3 PCI Express

Hard Drive
Maxtor DiamondMax 10 SATA/150 200GB 7200RPM 16MB Cache (OEM)

Power Supply
Kingwin KWI-450W 450 Watt Power Supply w/ 3 Fans, Manual Fan Control

Case
Sunbeam Evil Eye ATX Mid Tower

I was just wondering if all those things will be compatible each other, in another words, can be put togather to build a PC.

I am mainly concerned about

* If the motherboard supports IDE as well as SATA. Whats the difference between say 9 SATA or 10 SATA? I saw hard drives that said 9 SATA and 10 SATA.

* The motherboard fitting in the case, the PSU fitting in the case. I already calculated the total approximate wattage needed...which was 370 (thats an over estimate)

I never had much luck overclocking...so I am probably not gonna try overclocking this one. I am going to use this computer mostly for general stuff, with some gaming on the side. The machine will probably be on 6 days a week.

Hopefully I can use this machine to play F.E.A.R (may be at 800x600, med quality with a decent frame rate) as well as do some web and graphics designing work, internet browsing etc.

The parts you chose are pretty good, but can use a little tweaking.

First off, judging by the stores you chose, you live in Canada, so Newegg is outta the question for you, so I will price things via NCIX. You can look them up to see where you can get better prices, if you want.

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Processor S939 Venice 1.8GHZ 512K L2 Cache 90NM Retail Box $176.93

A good CPU, so that can stay.

Gigabyte GA-K8NF-9 Motherboard ATX S939 NFORCE4-4X DDR PCI-E16 2PCI-E SATA Sound GBLAN 1394 $109.83

I know you picked Asus, which is fine. I have a skt939 Gigabyte board, and therefore I have firsthand experience on their quality (which would be good). You also picked one that had onboard video, which is useless if you use a vid card.

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=13212&vpn=KVR400X64C3A/512&manufacture=Kingston] Kingston ValueRAM PC3200 512MB DDR400 CL3 184PIN DIMM Memory[/url] 2X $60.63

You picked overclocking RAM. Although it may be tempting to get the expensive stuff, it doesnt enhance your computer's performance unless you start overclocking. I chose some value RAM, as it will perform the same, but is quite a bit cheaper.

Vid card is fine.

PSU is fine.

Case is fine.

http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=006204&cid=PS.808
I'd do what he said but get that PSU instead..

And the G6100 mobo's arn't as useless if you have a GFX card to put in right away, but I'd go with a Gigabyte one instead
http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=008575&cid=MB.693

You can run the GFX card and the onboard at the same time so there's some benifits to that... just depends on if you care it's a micro board... The G6100 chipset boards have been surprisingly good.

Elbatrop1 said:
The parts you chose are pretty good, but can use a little tweaking.

First off, judging by the stores you chose, you live in Canada, so Newegg is outta the question for you, so I will price things via NCIX. You can look them up to see where you can get better prices, if you want.

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Processor S939 Venice 1.8GHZ 512K L2 Cache 90NM Retail Box $176.93

A good CPU, so that can stay.

Gigabyte GA-K8NF-9 Motherboard ATX S939 NFORCE4-4X DDR PCI-E16 2PCI-E SATA Sound GBLAN 1394 $109.83

I know you picked Asus, which is fine. I have a skt939 Gigabyte board, and therefore I have firsthand experience on their quality (which would be good). You also picked one that had onboard video, which is useless if you use a vid card.

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=13212&vpn=KVR400X64C3A/512&manufacture=Kingston] Kingston ValueRAM PC3200 512MB DDR400 CL3 184PIN DIMM Memory[/url] 2X $60.63

You picked overclocking RAM. Although it may be tempting to get the expensive stuff, it doesnt enhance your computer's performance unless you start overclocking. I chose some value RAM, as it will perform the same, but is quite a bit cheaper.

Vid card is fine.

PSU is fine.

Case is fine.
Thanks a lot for your input :)...I greately appreciate it.

I got the same processor for $150, that is $25 cheaper than NCIX :). I can get the 3200 (2.0 GHz) version for an extra $35...do you think it's worth it?

I got the OCZ from 003 of this forum. Those OCZs cost me about the same as the ones that you've mentioned, so I figured why not go with the overclockable ones since I have the option.

I also wanted to get the eVGA SLI ready motherboard, so I can get another 6600GT in the future. But that way, I am gonna have to spend like another $70 - $80 CDN for the motherboard and a compatible PSU.

If I wanted to get a Gigabyte motherboard, I'd have to spend an extra $20 CDN for one that is identical to the Asus one. Link

Onboard video is fine...I will just have to disable it right? That was one of the cheapest Asus motherboard (I originally intended to go for A8N-E but thats too expansive) which just happend to have onboard video :D

Thanks again!

Mk97 said:
What makes this PSU better than the other one (other than being silent and chrome finish)? I do not really mind if the PSU is loud, not a factor for me.

I thought the other one would be better since it has 3 fans :p

Sorry I am kind of still at the pre-historic era in this. Last time I really built a computer was when a video card was mesured in megabytes. The latest game required like 2 megabytes of VGA memory, and then all of a sudden they required AGP memory....and thats when I stopped caring I think...lol.

You do have a point there about the Asus being cheaper. I havent heard much about that board, so just make sure to read some reviews on it to make sure that you are getting a good board.

Yes you would have to disable onboard video to use a vid card.

I'm not sure now if you really want to get an SLI mobo or the one you originally picked...

Good deal on the RAM :D

Haha.. first off, the psu is better because it's not only a beter brand it's modular ad has a peakage of 520 watts. The one you showed was fine, but if you want to run 2 6600GT's then get that one.

You ca get a giabyte SLi board like this,
http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=008025&cid=MB.693
hmm...
From tiger Direct there's this deal.. http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1647356&CatId=0
That's a pretty good SLi board an the proc you wanted, I know it's mre than you were thinking tho... I'd say the SLi is a good idea, but you could also just get that G6100 and use the onboard GFX and then save up for a 6800GS, which is a about as goo as 2 6600GT's... it's all in how you want to do it ans how long your willing to wait for it.
There's a million combos... Gah, I'm sorryI'm probably just onfusin you more, I'd make a complete system that I'd bu for that price, but USD,CND and pounds are all starting to mix together and I'm way to lazy right now... sorry
Good Luck on your comp.

Hard drive... you have Maxtor. They are not know for their long-term reliability.

You may want to look at Western Digital (3 year warranty) or Seagate (5 year warranty).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom