newbie facing BIG trouble with NTLDR

Status
Not open for further replies.

phenomenom

Solid State Member
hi everybody. i have browsed through the threads on NTLDR. many thanks for a lot of information i have never known before.

like other users who have gone through this problem, it must be a nightmare. i faced this problem after i applied the 'system recovery' (standard mode) to boost the performance of my pc. using this standard mode, i was guaranteed that none of my data files will be deleted.

then came the worst part after finishing with the system recovery. i got the same message again and again...'NTLDR is compressed. press CTRL+ALT+DEL' to restart. then after restart i got the same message again.

i have contacted my pc producer, HP Invent...and i ordered recovery cds kit to help me with the problem and then they will help me via the phone. my question now...as i am waiting for the delivery, is that...will the data files stay the same as they were before? i don't mind having to buy a new HDD but my biggest concern is the data files...120 gig of valuable data for me. if i fail to fix the problem...is the transfer of the data to another hd, possible?

Yes. If you get a new HDD and put it as a slvae drive you can access it and get the data off of it.

phenomenom said:
hi everybody. i have browsed through the threads on NTLDR. many thanks for a lot of information i have never known before.

like other users who have gone through this problem, it must be a nightmare. i faced this problem after i applied the 'system recovery' (standard mode) to boost the performance of my pc. using this standard mode, i was guaranteed that none of my data files will be deleted.

then came the worst part after finishing with the system recovery. i got the same message again and again...'NTLDR is compressed. press CTRL+ALT+DEL' to restart. then after restart i got the same message again.

i have contacted my pc producer, HP Invent...and i ordered recovery cds kit to help me with the problem and then they will help me via the phone. my question now...as i am waiting for the delivery, is that...will the data files stay the same as they were before? i don't mind having to buy a new HDD but my biggest concern is the data files...120 gig of valuable data for me. if i fail to fix the problem...is the transfer of the data to another hd, possible?

what is the system recovery you used to boost the performance? was it in th bios?

thanks for the replies guys. i appreciate it.

i don't have access to internet now; life is so difficult, i have to walk to the library to get connected to the outside world.

Warez Monster,
there are two modes; standard mode which will not delete any of the data you've created but you'll have to reinstall all new programs. the second one is the destructive mode, which is like formatting the computer; destroying everything. i used the standard mode as i have used it once before without any problem.

to answer your question, the system recovery isn't from the bios.

i don't know whether i can fix the problem myself, the cds were delivered to the wrong address and i am getting frustrated now that my class would begin very soon.

i hope it is possible that i can transfer the data to another hd, as Makaveli213 has statedbefore. but when i talk to an HP technician, he said that there is no chance at all to get the data back unless i get the recovery cds kit. i hope he was wrong.

if there is a way i can fix it myself (without having to format it), i would be grateful to that person who can help me.

thanks everyone.

If you have compressed your hard disk drive by using the Compress drive to save disk space option under the Properties menu for your hard disk drive and have performed a non-destructive recovery or a system recovery, you may see the following error message:

NTLDR is compressed. Press CRTL-ALT-DEL to restart.

This error message is resolved by following these steps:

Press Ctrl + Alt + Del, select Shut Down, and then select Restart.

Press F8 repeatedly when you see the first logo screen during startup.

If the Windows Advanced Option menu does not open, then u need to use an Xp cd to enter recovery console .

From the Windows Advanced Option menu, use the keyboard arrow keys to select Return to OS Choices Menu and then press Enter.

Using the arrow keys, select Microsoft Windows Recovery Console and then press Enter.

Enter the appropriate number for the WINDOWS installation, for example, the WINDOWS installation could be listed as 3: C:\WINDOWS or 3: D:\WINDOWS.

If prompted, enter your Administrator password and press Enter. If there is no password, just press Enter.

At the prompt, if the WINDOWS installation you selected in previous step was C:\WINDOWS, type:

cd c:
Or, if the WINDOWS installation you selected was D:\WINDOWS, type:

cd d:
At the prompt, type:

attrib -c ntldr

and then press Enter.

At the prompt, type: exit

Press the Enterkey and immediately remove all discs or diskettes from the computer to allow the computer to restart.

thank you so much Warez Monster. i will follow your suggestion.

you are such a helpful person. thanks again.

Np, just one more thing, is the system even usable right now? Can you get to the desktop? if you can, right click the hdd, click properties, then uncheck "Compress drive to savfe diskspace" and then try to use those disks, if that dont work, then use my first suggestion before this post.

can i say that the system is not even usable right now, since i can't even get to the desktop. when i restart my pc, i get the same message: 'ntldr is compressed. press CTLR+ALT+DEL to restart' with the dark background. and then the same thing happens again after follwing the message.

the only thing i can do is waiting for the cds. then i will follow your steps.

thanks for helping me going through such a difficult time. you are the best.

Makaveli213 advice will probably be the only way to get your data back as a fully formatted os can read compress files. yiou should have back your files up before you hit f10 and ran system recovery.

most people have problem running it when they try to keep their data. it better to pick the destructive option. all least you get to keep your programs
is your computer a HP or compaq?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom