HDD in Bios not Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Chub

Baseband Member
I just threw together a system from a bunch of used parts and it works pretty good, i have a 40gb primary hdd with windows ME on it, the second hdd is an 80gb and it shows up in the bios perfectly but when in windows it only shows up in device manager, but i can't make any changes to it's properties, such as assigned drive letters. When doing fdisk it shows i only have one fixed disk?

Do you mean when u go to my computer, you cant see the drive? If thats the case, be sure the drive is partitioned? it wont be if its new out of the packaging and u snapped in the computer and did nothing else.

if ur 80gb hard drive is an NTFS partition, windows me won't recognize it. windows me only recognizes fat or fat32 partitions

also fdisk can only recognize fat partitions. not NTFS

I was running a home server on a 98 machine and it was in there, mostly music and stuff, and i pulled it and stuck it in this machine. Since it was on a 98 machine it must not be ntfs, but even if it happens to be, if fdisk can't recongize it, then how would i format/partition it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom