How much can I overclock with this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Merkwürdigeliebe

Benevolent Cake Despot
I have a P4 "Willamette" processor clocked @ 1594.1 Mhz and FSB @ 99.6 Mhz and 398.5 Mhz Bus Speed. If say I replaced the standard cooler that came with the P4 with this one or this one using FSB overclocking, what is the maximum I could overclock the P4 to? Which of the two fans would be better? For me, taking the second fan will be most conveniant.

the maximum will be as high as the pc will let it, you gotta experimentm but do it in small increments

Well that's the thing, I don't want to have to get it, install it, and find out I can't do **** all with it. I'm asking for maybe an estimate.

Or, let's take the question in another way... if I wanted that P4 to be clocked @ a minimum of 2.4 Ghz, using FSB overclocking, what would I need?

You can never really tell what kind of OC you will get so we can't help much with this question.

Have you already tried OCing as far as you can with the cooling you have? You can see what you get to with OCing on your current setup, then plan on a certain degree C drop in your temps if you get a good heatsink/fan cooling solution so that u can go a bit further in you OC

Your processor is 100x16=1600mhz. to get to 2400mhz you will need to up the fsb to 150. 150*16=2400mhz which will bring your fsb to 600mhz. You will get to about 1.9ghz-2.1ghz before it becomes unstable depending on your Ram.

Please someone correct me if I am wrong.

SHAWN said:
Your processor is 100x16=1600mhz. to get to 2400mhz you will need to up the fsb to 150. 150*16=2400mhz which will bring your fsb to 600mhz. You will get to about 1.9ghz-2.1ghz before it becomes unstable depending on your Ram.

Please someone correct me if I am wrong.

Nah, I don't think that makes sense. When you say the FSB has to be brought to 150, then the FSB will be clocked @ 150 Mhz, unless maybe I'm understanding this wrong. But no, it makes sense, FSB is measured in Mhz, currently, I have 100 (x16= 1600 Mhz) If I bring it up to 150 Mhz it'll be 150 Mhz x 16 = 2400 Mhz. I have no idea where you got 600 Mhz from, unless maybe the function for increasing FSB is exponential or something.

Just to make sure here, Intel Processors do not allow you increase the multiplier, right? If that is not true, then I have a lot more options open to me.

Right now, I have an OEM mobo which doesn't allow me to either do FSB overclocking or multiplier overclocking (although I think that's due to the the fact that it's an Intel Processor) I'm planning to overhaul my pc and having at least the FSB overclocking function available to me.

SHAWN said:
intel front side bus is quad pumped. your fsb is 400mhz right now 100*4. if you up it to 150 then its 150*4=600

I see, well, one other question then...
clocks7hl.jpg

See where it says memory? When I turn FSB up, that goes up as well. But one thing though, what every that is set to, is that what my memory will be set to?

Like, say if I did the system overhaul (look at my last post before this one) and had the FSB set to 150, it only brings my memory clock to only 200 Mhz, meaning that if I get PC3200 DDR RAM, that it will be downclocked from 400 Mhz to 200 Mhz. Is this true?

This is what I mean:
clock23tp.jpg

You're trying to use a desktop overclocking tool. Don't bother with that junk. I tried it on the prebuilt PC that we have and it worked, but after a few reboots the clock went back to stock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom