Windows Vista Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
no where did you hear that. Thats how it should be but Vista is not an "open beta" currently. Most Vista uses who got it ligit will also be able to get the release version of vista unless their subscription expires beofre it is released.

What is this I hear about Vista only supporting Direct X 10 and will only emulate DX9.

This came from another forum member I have never heard of this and would like it verified.

I have heard this. Vista will only be DX10 compatable. It is supposed to use a totaly diffent method for gfx than DX9 is currently using. Here is an excert from the article i found:

There are troubled times ahead. Through one bold move, Microsoft has decided that it will not support, the already too “old” DirectX 9, not to mention DirectX 8 or any of the previous versions. But... it appears to be some logic hidden somewhere.
The new DirectX will not be named Windows Graphic Foundation (WGF) as it was planned and will remain at the old name, as in DirectX 10. It will be released with their brand new operating system Vista. This news API will be composed of new and faster dynamic link libraries (DLLs) and will run much faster (so they say).
Microsoft has decided that backward compatibly with DirectX 9,8,7 isn't really necessary as there will probably will be even less compatible with Vista.
Even so, dear Microsoft hasn't totally forgotten us. Some sort of “compatibility” will be available through a software layer (probably some emulation) which will have its price in system resources, as it will run much slower. The good news is that DirectX 10 will relieve some of the burden on the CPU.

Full Story: Softpedia

As far as i know. No. I could be wrong but since DX10 is to be released with Vista it just shows that they are fully backing Vista. I could be wrong. But even so the current hardware wont support it. You would have to buy a new Video Card that is DX10 in order to have it supported anyways. As far as i know even if they do backport it to XP it would only be emulated as would DX9 and lower would be on DX10. So either way its a lose-lose situation.

Think you can guess the date Windows Vista will officially debut next year? If so, you can win an all-expenses-paid trip to the launch event, or one of nine Xbox 360 consoles. The contest is being held as part of Microsoft Europe's new Beta Experience program, which is designed to keep users up to date with Vista and Office 12 news.

"As a member of the Beta Experience, you are one of the first to be informed of the new product features, long before the final version is released to the market," Microsoft says. Those 18 years of age and residing in Belgium, Croatia, Denmark, Finland, Germany, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Norway, Pakistan, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Spain, Switzerland, and the United Kingdom may enter.

https://www.microsoft.com/emea/msdn/betaexperience/launchcontest/default.aspx

The February CTP apears to be when the people get a feature complete version of Vista after all. We just have to wait one more CTP till it's here. Microsoft seems to really be pushing things to their limits.

That means the sidebar should re apear in this CTP......

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mikee I highly doubt Direct X 10 will be for XP seems to be a Vista exlusive. DX10 is all about the 3D desktop and UI something XP cannot take advantage of.

what's with ms they put the sidebar there in the really early builds of longhorn then they keep putting it back in and taking it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom