PC Overhaul

Status
Not open for further replies.

Merkwürdigeliebe

Benevolent Cake Despot
Right now, I have a pre-built HP. I was looking to get a brand new pc but that is gonna all cost way too much. I have found a solution that will cost me a little less than $300 canadian rather than having to pay $1300 for the system I want. $1000 is a pretty **** significant difference when you're talking in student budget terms.

The problem with my current motherboard is that it doesn't allow me to overclock through FSB. As for multiplier overclocking, I know that Intel chips do not allow the multiplier to be changed. The mobo also only has AGP x4 support and as for memory, it is still stuck with ancient SDRAM at it's worst.

Anyway, the setup I have with the HP is as follows:

Processor:
Intel Pentium 4 "Willamette" clocked @ 1.6 Ghz, 100 Mhz FSB, 400 Mhz Bus, multiplier = locked @ 16x

Memory:
256 MB PC133 SDRAM
256 MB PC100 SDRAM (Added it myself)
(Total = 512 MB clocked @ 100Mhz)

Mobo:
AsusTeK P4B-LA, AGP x4, PC100/133, Socket 478, FSB = locked

Graphics Card: (Upgraded this myself, see sig)
Sapphire ATi 9600XT w/IceBerQ5 Cooling clocked @ 550/680(eff.) AGP x8, 256 MB DDR VRAM

Other Specs
HP Generic CD-Writer
HP Generic DVD-Reader
Samsung 80 GB HD
Western Digital 250 GB HD
200-watt PSU
Generic HP Computer Case

Alright, so here's what I plan to do. I'm gonna throw all the following items in the garbage:

200-watt PSU
Generic HP Computer Case
256 MB PC133 SDRAM
256 MB PC100 SDRAM
AsusTeK P4B-LA Motherboard

I'm gona buy the following items and install them:

Biostar P4M80M4 Motherboard
Corsair 1024MB PC3200 Memory
Xion II Black ATX Case w/450-watt PSU
New cooling system (I need a bit of help on this. Considering I have a generic CPU heatsink/fan, what should I get to overclock my P4 @ 1.6Ghz to more or less 2.4 Ghz?)

I'm going to keep everything else, harddrives, optical drives, graphics card and processor and install it with this new setup. Saving me lots of money.

Just a couple of questions arise.

#1) Since I have HP recovery CD's that are model specific (putting them in another computer will give you an error message), will the recovery CDs still work, even with my new mobo?

#2) Can I install the new mobo and not have to re-install Windows XP and re-format my hard drives?

#3) With all the parts that I chose, will everything work alright?

#4) Would I need to re-install drivers for everything?

#5) What kinda of difficulties am I bound to face?

Thanks for any help.

1) No, almost 110% positive it will NOT work.

2) A repair install from a non-OEM XP CD might work. (Note: Use a Home CD if your version is Home, vice versa)

3) Should work right, don't see why not.

4) If the repair install works, you'd have to reinstall drivers for motherboard...

5) Mainly Windows related issues, if you don't have a non-OEM XP installation disk to start a fresh install...

edit: ah nevermind, I cleared this post cos I got my question answered. But does anyone mind further commenting on this? I'm glad that WorldIndustries answered my questions, but I wouldn't mind having more input...

Ummm gah... $300CD is like what $200USD? lol I dunno my mind blanked when CD came up...

All I know is for about $500 you can buy a brand new Sempron54 s754 with nice case, dvd burner 160gb HD, 6600GT, and more... I can't stop pimping that setup as my favorite budget gaming comp.

I dunno who ships to canadia.. I think tigerdirect has a canadian site but that's the only one I know.

If you like the idea, and are willing to spend a bit more you can get a great setup that'll last longer than trying to save that aging HP.

I was in the same position a while ago thinking of upgrading my dads crap compaq with $200 in upgrades, but it'd be better to just wait and buy a newer better system from strach.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom