Computer shutting down after 25 minutes of idle

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't downloaded any screensavers that are 3D accelerated. My screensavers are pretty much the default XP ones.

Temperatures (from BIOS):
CPU Temp: 56 Deg C
System Temp : 27 Deg C
CPU Fan Speed = 2445 RPM (only 1 installed)

Now for startec, the first three devices listed are:
-Computer
-Disk Drives
-Display adapters

How can uninstalling them fix the problem? Not trying to be picky, but those entries look important.

please read it care fully ONCE AGAIN

please try the following steps
-go to the system properties-devicemgr
-go to the view at the top
choose the option-show hidden devices
-click on system devices
-uninstall the 1st three devices
-would ask u to reboot
-may fix the problem

hm629 : I don't think u should do what startec's suggesting ... n' in any case .. now that u've posted ur CPU temp's ...(I'm assuming ur running a P4 )

Ur temperatures are pretty high .. U could try using a better heatsink , or for right now .. just try using a couple more fans ..n' u could leave ur case sidepanels open.
Also keep an eye on the CPU temps more often.

startec : i'm posting a screenshot of my device manager .. if i do what u say ... then i would be removeing even the DMA option .. n' how do u think this would set things rite ??:rolleyes:

DM1.jpg

Hmmm i dunno, I'm not too handy with hardware. But right now to avoid my comp from shutting down, I set my system to standy by after 20 mins. It seems to prevent it from shutting down (but it's also very inconvenient).

I've removed one sidepanel of my computer and the temp seems to stay constant at the 50s C. What's the safe/healthy zone for it?

That's much better .. a decrease of 6° just by opening ur case ..WOW

For a P4 the normal running temp is about 30°-35°C approx
for an AMD it could vary between 45°-55°C

Add a couple of fans to the system .. make the cables less tangled inside the case .. N' finally if u can replace the heatsink ..This would be the most effective way
If u look around on the forum u'll find good instructions on how to do it.

Just checked again and the temp's now in the upper 40s (47-48) but stupid system still keeps shutting down! :'( Now standby won't even do the trick, it shuts down over that! Seems like its worsening by day. Must resort to hybernating now...

Sheessh .. I thought it was definately a heat problem..

olrite .. in that case ..tell me if u have any Usb devices connected to the system

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom