unable to install windows... and windows only?

Status
Not open for further replies.
no, no, no, i mean i installed it as a slave, and formated it over and over and over. then took it out, changed the jumper to put it as master then tried to boot from cd.

for some reason i always get that response when i explain what i did.. maybe i should choose different words.

i can only asume its compatible. it originally came with windows 2k, then i installed xp, then i formated and installed xp again but got some "infection" and ever since then all i can install is linux and free bsd.

as i said before, "checking hardware config.." then black-- and stays black... the cd continues to spin for a little longer then stops, but the light on the computer, the one that lights up when it is processing, not the power light the other one, stays on. Dont know if thats relevant or not.

thanks for the replies!

you mentioned "infected"...i'm assuming u got a virus, if that's the case, you should scan it wid anti-virus with latest updates cuz reformatting an infected hard drive doesn't necessarily remove the virus.

and since u said that u can only install linux based os and not xp, then there must be something in that hard drive that is preventing u to install microsoft's os. have u tried installing win2k or other windows os?

you kno i havnt tried that... hmph. ,, so you think its xp related, not necesarily windows?

what is diskmgmt.msc? sorry not on a windows box right now.

diskmgmt.msc is a disk utility for managing hard drives on 2000/XP. u can delete, create partitions and format them as well

ldealba said:
you kno i havnt tried that... hmph. ,, so you think its xp related, not necesarily windows?

what? xp is windows. that's why they're called "WINDOWS XP" home or professional

i just think ur problem is virus or something related. i see no reason why u cannot install xp but install a linux operating system.

sorry about the delay. i finally got time to kill disk the HDD.. which on a side note took over four hours!(is that normal?)

but at any rate, it then allowed windows to install. everything seems good. the only thing ive been told is that while listening to mp3's, they freeze/skip. ive installed the audio drivers from giga-byte.com, but it still does it.. ive never seen this before. atleast not with mp3's. anyone come across this?

thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom