computer running...OS not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

macombaland

In Runtime
I just finished putting together my new comp. My computer is running fine in the bios and setup. I formatted my HD after I booted from my XP pro cd. there was a blue installation screen which said "please wait while setup copies files to the windows installation folder" while it was copying it would stop on certain files and say they couldnt be copied. i just told it to keep going and skip those files. this happened about 30 times. I restarted and got the windows startup screen and when windows was installing it just stopped.

I tried installing again and the next time the install got farther. it let me put in my name and product key...but soon after that the installation froze.

The windows CD is brand new. no scratches. I have no idea why its doing this. If anyone has a clue i would appreciate your help.

Honestly, out of all the tech problem situations I've come by, yours is by far the weirdest. Sorry man, no idea. A few things come to mind..

What kind of HD are you running? S-ATA? Did you install the motherboards SATA drivers before going into Windows setup?

I had this same problem a few years ago, I would reformar my harddrive, then try install a system, It couldn't load some files, so i just skipped them... then when the installation began, it got about to 32% done then froze, I kicked it a few times it got to like 56% then shut down... I tryed to reinstall it got to like 68%, then agian 85ish%, then 100% and it froze, i trted agian, and 100% and it froze, i had to compleately earse everything on my harddrive, all the partitions, then reinstall them again, then i got a bootleged OS and it ran fine...

Conclution:

Dirty CD
Invalid CD KEY
Scratched CD
or quite unlikely a messed up harddrive.

most likely ur cd-rom is faulty cuz it's having trouble reading from a cd.

clean it or try another cd-rom

Is the CD you are using an original one, a copy or a 'homemade' one (with nlite for example).

I had this problem before with a 'homemade' install CD where I had to skip files during the install - once it was complete (and I was able to boot into winxp) it was forever asking me for the install disk to be put into the drive.

I reinstalled with a different CD and all was fine!

Its an original cd staright out of the packaging. The cd drive is new but ill try a different one after i get off work.

Well heres an update. Twice now I have made it through copying those files witout any problems but both times during the actual windows install I got a blue screen. it said something about removing any hardware that was recently installed..blah blah blah

Considering the fact that everything in the computer was recently installed that blue screen wasnt much help.

Do you have a PCI-E card installed? Or maybe a RAID controller?

XP will have trouble installing on a PC that is using a PCI-E card. You will need to either disable the card in the BIOS or the copy of XP will need to have SP2.

If you have a RAID controller you might need install a third party driver for the controller during setup. (if that was the case XP will not see the hard drive when you go to install)

well i ran memtest86 and im not totally sure how to read the results. There are over 200,000 errors.

does this test only the ram? or could there be memory errors somewhere else on the computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom