best way to install RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

GreatGreen

Solid State Member
what would be the best way to install two sticks of RAM?

the board has 4 RAM slots, channels A1, A2, B1, and B2.

the RAM is 2 Gigs (2 x 1 Gig).

should i install the two sticks next to each other, in slots A1 and A2? or should i install the RAM in dual channel mode in slots A1 and B1? i'm not exactly sure what dual channel mode is, so that's kind of why i'm asking..

To cure the bandwidth backup, chipset manufacturers have been quick to embrace the benefits of dual-channel memory architecture. Although there are many differences between models, the basic concept is as simple as opening a second checkout line at the supermarket -- adding a second memory channel for theoretically double the bandwidth. If a single channel of DDR266 memory supplies 2.13GB/sec of bandwidth, then naturally a dual-channel memory controller (using two modules or sticks of DDR266) can enjoy 4.3GB/sec of bandwidth.

hey, thanks for the replies, guys!

one more thing... is there really that much of a noticable difference? we all know that theory is one thing and practice is another... does this hold true with dual channel RAM vs. single channel?

It does make a difference, but it's very small (depending on what you do, it would probably benefit CAD and things like that) and you would have to use benchmarks to see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom