Motherboard Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

nosralboo

Baseband Member
I recently built my first computer(amd athlon 64 3700+[socket 754], mach speed k8m8ms mobo, 1 gb ultra ram, uv wizard, 160gb seagate baracuda) and I realize I ended up with a really bad mobo. Now the first question I have is: If I bought a new mobo would I have to reactivate windows? Next, what would be a good motherboard for that cpu? I am looking for an agp slot as I have an agp gpu. Any help would be gladly appreciated! thanks!

uhh

two things, the cpu is 754, not 939, and when I upgraded ram, mobo, cpu, I didn't have to reinstall windows I just had to reactivate. So why would I have to reinstall when I only change one thing?

when you use a different mobo different drivers are needed in most cases.

go to newegg.com and look for the mobo

you said if yoy reinstalled etc etc..then you said you did..what did you do?

Well I bought a barebone system off tigerdirect for only 300 dollars after rebates, which is pretty good considering the cpu, even if it is 754. But the motherboard it came with was a piece of ****. I would just like to find an affordable one, that will work well in combination with the cpu. About Windows, yea I don't know why asked that, I think I could have figured it out had I thought more about it. But thanks for helping me out! HL2 runs flawlessly, but I am worried that my mobo will not be able to handle the high end titles(quake 4, BF2). This wouldn't be a problem if 754 wasn't such a dying socket.

lol I love people who don't read.

Gah.. well I'd say go for a 754 board that has and agp and pcie x16...

But I'm always forward looking, I think ASRock makes a 754 board with both for cheap... that is if you like ASUS, but any good brand is better than a cheap, 'no-namer'

Hmmm I didn't know there was any s754 athlons higher than a 3200... cool if there are, guess I just pay attion to uber budget and uber not budgt stuff....

Well, you can get a gigabyte or MSI (pretty good brands) for bout $55ish
ASRock is a part of ASUS that makes budget parts, but I don't like either, tho they are a good brand
DFI's great but usually too expensive.
BioStar usually isn't good from what I've heard, but from what i've heard they did really well on the G6100 (mobo's with Nvidia's GeForce 6100 gfx chip as onboard video) but I can't speak for anything but those.

I'll assume you aren't a noob considering the above correction and the flashed 9600

If I were you tho, I'd buy a G6100 mobo and use the onboard gfx till you buy a pcie GFX card like a 6600GT or one of ATi's new x1x00 series. The onboard performs about as well or better than my Radeon 9200 but is way more compatible. It's entirely your choice tho, and as I said I'm crazy for future proofing.

here's a search of s754 boards w/ agp the above mentiond brands are the way to go.

s754 w/ agp

Here's the G6100 mobo I'd suggest, there's also an ASRock and a cheaper Biostar of the same chipset/socket type.
G6100 mobo

hope you could understand me, I'm pretty confusing.
Hope that helped.

Defintely helped. I will think about this a while before buying one. Not too long though. Socket 754 is going out faster than Mac gamers(although i've heard the G5's are pretty kick ***). Thanks for the help, good experience for my first thread here.

haha.. I like Macs :)

Socket 754 isn't that bad, I think it's a great budget system. The Sempron64's are good procs, tho you've got a better proc anyway. I think we'll see it around for a while longer. That's why I'd say shoot for a mobo w/ pcie x16 so you won't have to upgrade the proc. Tho I think ATi still releases some highend agp cards, all depends on your budget. Like I said I'm crazy for future prooffing a system.

Glad to know that helped

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom