Backing up a fresh OS/HDD install to a DVD-R?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raphael Argus

Daemon Poster
I'm curious, after you do a HDD format and reinstall your OS is it possible to do a complete HDD backup to a DVD-R? Even after I install my updated drivers and a couple apps I'm at like 3.5gbs, and it would be awesome to be able to backup the whole thing to a DVD-R and the next time I need to do a fresh format and OS install I could somehow use the DVD-R.

Is this possible? What software programs would be needed or used to backup the whole HDD and boot sector and then used to recopy it?

Sorry if this is a crazy question, I have no idea if it's possible...

Ah, so it can be done? I have an old version of Norton Ghost that I used to make an image onto a 2nd HDD a couple years ago, but did not know it would work with a DVD-R.

I'm sure I can figure out how to use Norton Ghost to get the image onto a DVD-R, but how exactly do you go about the HDD format and getting the image back onto the drive?

Thanks!

boot from your xp cd...format it, install xp, install all programs, settings, etc, then make the image

Oh, my apology, I meant how would I go about restoring the image? I try to reformat every 4 months or so, and I just did a clean install last week so I'll make the image now. Just curious to know how I would handle it when I'm ready to restore =)

Ah, that would make sense. I guess I could boot from the DVD-R, format my HDD, then use Norton Ghost from the DVD-R to ghost the image over to the freshly formatted HDD.

Thanks Warez Monster =)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom