64bit os worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
what the purpose? vista 64 will be out. when it comes out MS will never fix xp64. it will get dropped like a bad habit.

I would use it if more software would work on it.

EricB said:
what the purpose? vista 64 will be out. when it comes out MS will never fix xp64. it will get dropped like a bad habit.

What exactly are they supposed to be fixing?

Its based on Server 2003 SP1 x64 Edition, which means it can and does use the same updates and service packs. (Which you can guarantee they will be supporting)

Also, it is supposed to be able to use all the Vista x64 drivers, so that eliminates any compatibility issues.

As it stands, the only thing that I can't do on my system is use my Samsung laser printer or get an updated MySQL ODBC connector.

I've been using the 64 bit edition of XP on my dad's computer and had no problems with it at all. I have another copy for myself, but for money reasons I'm saving it for my next build.

EricB said:

Eric everyone here that "actually used it" are telling you there is no problems to fix on Microsofts end the only thing that is needed is more 64 bit apps which more apearing everyday. XP x64 will not be dropped it will go into the standard support and when 5 years since it's origanal release is over it will go into the extended support phase just like any other MS OS much like Windows 2000.

And to top it off both Windows XP x64 and all Vista versions 64 or 32 are based off of Windows Server 2003 SP1 code. They will not stop updating it and fix problems because when something is found on Vista it will be there for Xp x64 and vice versa I see a fully supported future for Xp x64.

Just say it's a good OS it's not that hard :p

I quit on it by the 4th thing it wouldn't let me install. I couldn't network print either. I'm saying the xp64 will be the next windows ME. they came out with it too close to a time as their next os release, so they will forget about it once vista is out. just like ME

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom