Sorry to bother the computer savvy for such a trivial topic...RAM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

arrakis9999

Beta member
Can someone please tell me if there is anyway to increase the RAM beyond 512mb (there's only one empty slot for 256mb of RAM) for in my Dell Inspiron 1000 (i.e. external RAM or a program). I am trying to run Star Wars Galaxies. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is a Laptop if I remember correctly.
Now then, have you tried putting another 512Mb of RAM in this rig? Honestly though, your rig is geared more towards mobile computing, not gaming. Galaxies isn't a high-end game, have you already tried running it on your rig?

The program loads but says it recommends 512mb of RAM and I have 512mb but it's shared with the video. I have all programs closed and only using 2% CPU. After I try to start the game it will tell me the app. may run but with instability then it will say client crash 2 secs later.

Hmmm... well I just saw a review at CNET(couldn't find the specs on dell's site) and apperently 512mb is the max it can hold.

You can try making a bigger paging file (virtual memory)
Go to my computer, right click it, select properties and then select the advanced tab.
under that tab click the first one, should be performance, and then the advanced tab uner the performace options menu.
At the bottom it should say virtual memory, click change.
Here's the kinda difficult part. If you have 5-10Gigs of space free on your harddrive you should be fine, so click custom size and change it to something like 'inital size' and type something like 512mb and for max size 1512 or something. Try playing with that increassing the virtual memory and see if it improves performance. Next time, shop around and don't buy a dell.

Hope that helped any.
ugg.. lol that had to be the worst written paragraph I've ever written. If it's not clear enuff tell me and I'll try again.

I just checked out the manual from Dell.

512 is the max it can hold, period.

Sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom