First Time Builder: Need Opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twizted_3kgt

Daemon Poster
Ok, so for Christmas this year I was given a $500 budget for a computer. I decided I would go down the building path instead of pre-built because I plan to do nothing but gaming. I got on NewEgg and ended up spending just under $900. It's out for delivery today, so I need some opinions. I plan to overclock in the near future, but i'm waiting to buy another gig of RAM, and some cooling stuff (?). The list is as follows:

- ABIT KN8 Ultra Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra ATX AMD Motherboard

- XFX PVT42GUAD7 Geforce 6800GS 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card

- ASPIRE ATX-AS520W BLACK ATX 520W Power Supply 115/230 V CB IEC 950/ TUV EN 60950/ UL 1950/ CSA 950

- AMD Athlon 64 3700+ San Diego 1GHz FSB 1MB L2 Cache Socket 939 Processor

- CORSAIR XMS 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit System Memory
(any good for OC'ing?)

- Western Digital Caviar SE WD800JD 80GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache Serial ATA150 Hard Drive - OEM

- NEC Black 16X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 16X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2M Cache IDE/ATAPI DVD Burner - OEM

- ASPIRE X-Plorer ATXB8KLW-AL Black/Silver Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Thanks for taking the time to look and for anyone's opinion.

Also on a sidenote: Can anyone give a link to a good 6800GT vs. 6800GS comparison? I couldn't find any really good comparisons.

Ok well, as I typed the thread earlier today, the packages were sitting outside my front door...I discovered them about an hour later :) So now i'm typing from my new setup. Haven't been able to test out any games yet, because all my game are at my friend's house...but everything seems to be working...other than the temperature display on the front of the tower. I'd still like some opinions on the setup!

Good to know on the PSU, hopefully this one doesn't suck for me.

I was actually gonna go with that motherboard at first...then I couldn't find it and went w/ the ultra. Any reasons why you would've? is it better? or just cheaper?

hmm you might be able to return the psu... I dunno bout the GFX card, people have said XFX is great and people have said it's trash

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom