Updating 98 to 2000 Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

skamaniak

Beta member
Ok, here's the situation... I'm trying to network these two pc's of some relatives of mine: One is running ME and the other is 98... I have tried to the best of my ability's to network em, and have decided to upgrade them both to 2000 since it seems like that will fix the problem. I have run into another problem :D
I have run into a glich installing 2k on the 98 machine. The install goes through without a glich, and just when it gets to the final boot screen where it's all white and stuff and it says Windows 2000 is starting and it has the graph at the bottom like usual... but it get's stuck half way on the graph(9 bars). I've tried booting it in safe mode and in debugger mode. I've talked to a couple of computer guys at places like Best buy and curtuit city and none of them know what todo.... As of now I'm just kinda planning on formating it and trying that.

Any advice? I can still boot to the 98 part on the HD if that helps...

Thanks in advance.

Since there is no data on there, there is no harm in reformatting IMO. If you have tried in safe mode and still cant boot, there isnt a whole lot you can do...I'd go for the reinstall.

Which kind of reinstall do you mean? Reinstall as in format it and start over? Because I've tried simply reinstalling the Win2k three times now and it still does the same thing... BTW: I'm not sure of the exact proccessor, but I think it may be a Celeron, and it's at least 700mhz perhaps 1ghz with 192MB of RAM.

you should have stuck with win98/ ME. you shouldn' t have had much problems networking them as long as you used the network connection wizard and disable firewall/ router or add users to trusted zone (zonealarm). are you using a hub, switch, or router? it is possible you have the hardware connected improperly

Well, I tried to stick with the 98/ME setup but the ME refused to see the 98 no matter what I did, and visa-versa... Neither had firewalls or routers or anything and all the appropriate protocals installed (client for MS network, file and printer sharing, TCP-IP, net BOUI, and IPX) yet they still refused to see eachother. The 98 could see itself, but the ME couldn't even see ITself... So I decided to upgrade them. I would do XP on both, but they can't afford that right now... so I figured I'd just do the next best thing and install 2k pro. There is no hub or switch, it's just a direct connection between the two with a CAT5-b(?) cable.

did you try networking them straight to eachother? or through a switch? because the cables you will use will be different, and BTW the upgrade from 98/ME to 2000, is known to cause problems, the upgrade from 98 to ME [or downgrade lol] or from 2k to xp doenst cause problems because they use the same basic OS shells, neways, i would always do a flat install if at all possible

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom