Is it possible to install an OS on a USB key?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LegendBreath

Daemon Poster
Hi,
Is it possible to install and OS and boot on it from a USB key? I would like to install a trim down linux on a USB key and then just plug it in my PC to boot on Linux. I don't really care if it's slower than a hard drive. Is it slower or faster? And is it possible?

Interesting question, but I have never tried this before. I'm curious, do you have a specific need to do this or are you just experimenting? Knoppix is a great distro and runs from the CD. You might try that if you're looking for portability.
If you do figure this out, let us know, I would be interested to see how it is done.

I don't think so, because if you look in CMOS, it won't pick up any drives in the USB ports

**** Small Linux (yeah, that's what it's called) has a USB setup. It's only a 50 MB OS, and comes with a crap-load of programs bundled.

My WebDeisgn teacher does it, but abit differently. He uses a USB HD and boots form it, so I figure it's possible. I noticed that when I leave my USB drive in when I boot, it searches it. I guess it's looking for an OS, I'm not sure. But it does look for something on it, so I think you could. Try it out.

I just need something really silent so... this would be the best solution. I want to do some Media Center, like a super silent one :p Thanks all! Well, in my BIOS I got a USB Boot thingy (even tought it's a pretty old motherboard)

Some motherboards do allow booting from a usb device so I will say yes, it is possible. Not possible to bounce between systems though due to different hardware components, unless your bouncing between machines of the same type.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom