Adding space to existing drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr_Threepwood

Daemon Poster
Ok heres the situation, one of my hd had 200gb that was windows, the other part of the drive had 50 gb to linux. In windows i just deleted the linux portion because i no longer want linux. Now the question is how do i format the 50 gb so that it is just added on to the existing h drive, so that it doesnt create its own drive (not i do not want to mount this new partition, i just want it included). Anyone know, or is the only way to do this to wipte the whole drive?

When you go to the drive properties do you see the 50 gig partition? If you do your should be able to simply format that partition for XP.

The problem isnt that i cant partition it, its that i want it to be added to an existing drive letter. I dont want another letter, ive already got 3, I want it to be added on to the rest of the drive letter E which is for the same hard drive as the 50 gigs.

Not going to happen without repartioning the drive. Partitions are virtual drives and mimic hardware. In order for the Kernal in XP to reconginize the virtual dirve it has to find it somewhere and so it is given a phyiscal address (in XP Executive services). You have one drive with 3 partiitons and your system will show drives C: D: E: even though there is only one physical drive. It would be like trying to merge LA and Pamona without changing the maps city limits....ain't gonna happen!! Back up the critcal data on the main 200 gig partition, reformat the dirve. I'm not a consistent user of Partion Magic but I would Google Partiiton Magic and see if you can expand the partition, removing one of the virtual drives, while perserving the DATA. >????? Post what you find out as I wuld like to know myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom