Should I Wait To Build For Windows Vista?

Status
Not open for further replies.

billru44

Baseband Member
Hey,

I've read about the new MS OS "Windows Vista" coming out. Should I build a new CPU now or wait until it comes out? Anybody know anything about this OS?

Seems to me that it's an improved version of XP and has DirectX10 support. I'm new to gaming... I'm assuming the latest support is DirectX 9.0?

I'm just concerned b/c I dont wanna spend $320 on a 7800GT if this new OS is coming out at the end of 2006 and all the new games are made for DirectX 10.

Then, my video card will be useless for new games.

Anybody have any opinions ?

#1) Your video card won't be useless for new games. Nvidia will support you with new drivers for DirectX10 support.

#2) XP will always be upgradable to Vista. If you get XP now, you can get a cheaper Vista upgrade later, rather than paying the full blown Vista price.

#3) If you're a gamer, your processor of choice would be from the Athlon 64 line-up, with their 64-bit capabilities, they will support Vista very well.

I say wait for Vista if you can. Yeah, you may be able to "run" DX10 games on a DX9 card, but you wont want to. Waiting for Windows Vista will assure you that you will be able to run your games on high if not highest settings for 2 years at least. That is if you purchase the highest end stuff at the time of Vista's release.

But, as teh_omar said, wouldn't I be able to download drivers from BFG or NVIDIA to allow my card to support DX10?

BandwidthHogg said:
I say wait for Vista if you can. Yeah, you may be able to "run" DX10 games on a DX9 card, but you wont want to. Waiting for Windows Vista will assure you that you will be able to run your games on high if not highest settings for 2 years at least. That is if you purchase the highest end stuff at the time of Vista's release.

gah, u do realise that Vista's expected release date is June 23, 2006? And I'm expecting loads of launch problems. Let's not forget Microsoft's last lauch failure, the 360. I'm predicting delays.

Don't wait.

If you build a decent system, it will be able to handle all of Vista's bells and whistles... whenever they finally arrive.

Besides, it's Microsoft... it will take a few months for the bugs to get worked out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom