AMD Unlocking Kit??

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, your problem is that the BIOS is locked. I believe the only way to get around this is to reflash the BIOS with the original (unlocked) configuration.

yea basically. but not just remove battery (simpleest type of flash) u need to actually change the bios

Thanks for the help but I'm still a little confused:confused:

Does the kit work on all the amd atholon xp chips like the 2000+ and 3000+ or is it only for the amd "athlon xp"

(from the link) http://www.atruereview.com/Articles/unlockingkit.php
"AMD and Intel both lock their chips to prevent users from cranking up the MHz or multiplier in their BIOS. AMD, probably in their attempts to gain market advantage over Intel, provides an easy way to unlock the chip. Simply draw a conductive line across each of the L1 bridges and you are good to go"

I have read over 100 times you CAN NOT overclock a store bought computer:eek: Is this true or not:confused:

If I can overclock my emachine will I need the kit and the unlocked BIOS?

You will most definitely have to unlock the BIOS. It's the first thing you must unlock before you are able to do any modifying. You will have to find an updated version or the same version of your BIOS and reflash it with a floppy disk.

After that, I can honestly say I don't know much about these "locked" CPUs. I believe the only thing locked on them is the multiplier. This means that you can only change the FSB but not the multiplier, but don't quote me on the because I'm not 100% sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom