APC trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sevoma

Daemon Poster
Well, last night (Dec. 26th), the power flickered for a split second. All of the ups's were fine, except the most important (imo) - mine. The battery kicked in, but then it emmited weird noises and my computer just shutdown before I could do so myself. It continued making satanic noises until I shut it off.
A while later, I plugged it back in to test. All seemed fine, so I just left everything. Today, (Dec. 27th), I try to turn on my computer. All is fine until the OS refuses to properly boot. The hdd was corrupt and damaged. I also discovered the mobo was partialy fried. I haven't tested everything yet though.
So, off to APC's website I go trying to get reimbursement for my hardware and data loss. My ups had up to 25,000 dollar protection for life. I talk to live tech support, they were helpful. They gave me a number to reach tech support to explain and file a EPC (Equipment Protection Claim). I find out the process can take up to a month and I would have to ship my pc and ups for unspection.
Upon closer look to their EPP (Equipment Protection Policy), I find out that reimbursement is based on Orion's Blue Book (http://orionbluebook.com). Now, I am thinking crap; I will problably only get 400 dollars for my hardware, none for my data loss. The blue book will not take account for BH-5 ram, a early Venice cpu (high oc's), my data loss, or any other the details. I am screwed.

My specs are as followed:
Amd Athlon 64 3000 Venice core (1.8ghz, 512kb L2?)
Dual 512mb pc3200 sticks of ram; one of which is BH-5
Seagate Sata 80gb hdd 8mb cache
MSI Neo4-f Mobo
Dvd & Cd Burner

This all was APC's fault a all of the other units, and all electronics without ups's were not harmed. There was no storm; the sky's were crystal clear. I guess I had a faulty ups. I think there is something wrong with the Inverter.

Does anybody have any ideas of what I can do? I appreciate any help.

Attachments

• chat_ups.txt
    4.5 KB · Views: 54
I my self would provide them with all reciepts and ask for them to pay for each part that was destroyed because of there UPS being faulty, and if they didn't then see how much it could cost to take them to court. I think there EULA and all that crap only protects if a surge gets thru, but they can't do **** with there EULA and TOU or w/e it's called if it failed because of a faulty part in it. But i'm not sure since I didn't read the papers.

I think I am going to call tech, ask for someone in America I can understand. I will then explain and try to get somehing out of this. It is their faulty part, it is their fault. They should pay what my hardware is worth and more for my troubles. Not to mention my data loss too!
I worked hard to get the money to build this rig, its only a couple of months old.

Ok. I just talked to a manager, he answered some questions. They problably won't pay for dataloss, but when I file my claim paper, I can put details of the hardware. They use the Orion BLue Book for estimates according to the Manager. The whole process may take a months time (!).

I really feel bad for what happened to you, nothing is more frustrating than data loss and damage to hardware.
I have dealt with APC on numerous occassions at work, where I am commonly sought to help with various network issues. The state of Florida has contracted with APC for years. I have made countless calls to thier help desk and always get some idiot on the other end who can't speak intelligable English and thier turn-around for resolving problems is sometimes months.
I resolved to never use them personally, and I have been using Belkin UPS's for years. I just bought thier 1100va model, and it has been performing great. I fried one of thier UPS's when we had those three hurricanes come through a few years ago, and they replaced it in about a week.

digima$ter, if you read the thread, you would see I have called tech support.

I just received a new apc ups unit from fedex about 20mins ago. The ups looks refurbished, but the model is a little newer than mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom