Using Partition Magic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sonia2M

Baseband Member
Hi I need help with something else
I have just installed Partition Magic and would like to change everything related to the internet to the new partition but as I started something went wrong because I could not install updates for Adobe or even connect to broadband

Sonia2M said:
Hi I need help with something else
I have just installed Partition Magic and would like to change everything related to the internet to the new partition but as I started something went wrong because I could not install updates for Adobe or even connect to broadband

Huh??? You added a partition to the primary drive? You can't install IE or Firefox on the NON-OS partition if that is what you are trying to do. But I'm having trouble understanding exactly what you want here. ........could you be more specific, please?

Sorry if I don't explain myself properly but I'm not know very much. I formatted my hard disk recently due to a problem with internet and just when I have finished a friend told to do two partitions and put in one the data and in the other everything related to internet (browser,programs ...) so if I had problems again with viruses firwalls I would not need to format again which is a pain in the tooth so I bought partition magic 8 and create a partition it actually appears in my computer as F drive but now I don't know how to transfer everything I started moving things to F and after I could not connect to broadband.
I hope that clarifies something
Thanks

Sonia2M said:
Sorry if I don't explain myself properly but I'm not know very much. I formatted my hard disk recently due to a problem with internet and just when I have finished a friend told to do two partitions and put in one the data and in the other everything related to internet (browser,programs ...) so if I had problems again with viruses firwalls I would not need to format again which is a pain in the tooth so I bought partition magic 8 and create a partition it actually appears in my computer as F drive but now I don't know how to transfer everything I started moving things to F and after I could not connect to broadband.
I hope that clarifies something
Thanks

you can only use f mostly to store your files, not your programs.
or you could put your operating system on f also. so if one gets sick. you could use the other.

So, have you got 3 partitions or 2?
Assuming you have 2 and C is your boot drive...
leave your OS on the primary drive, but move all your files to your new F drive. Move your My Documents folder; make a new folder for it on your F drive, and right-click on the My Documents icon from the desktop or start menu and click properties. Click the move button, and it will let you select a new location for your My Documents folder, and copy the stuff over.

Save the installation files and stuff for things like Firefox on your second drive, but still install them on C. You can't just move program folders to another drive. You can install them there, but you'd have to uninstall them and reinstall at the new location. I'd keep basic stuff like your browsers on C drive because when you reformat you'd need to reinstall that even if you installed it on F.

Keep no data on your boot drive, just OS and programs if you want. Keep program installation files and/or backups of your program CDs on your second drive if you like. I usually use 20-30gb partition for Windows XP.

Shannon said:
So, have you got 3 partitions or 2?
Assuming you have 2 and C is your boot drive...
leave your OS on the primary drive, but move all your files to your new F drive. Move your My Documents folder; make a new folder for it on your F drive, and right-click on the My Documents icon from the desktop or start menu and click properties. Click the move button, and it will let you select a new location for your My Documents folder, and copy the stuff over.

Save the installation files and stuff for things like Firefox on your second drive, but still install them on C. You can't just move program folders to another drive. You can install them there, but you'd have to uninstall them and reinstall at the new location. I'd keep basic stuff like your browsers on C drive because when you reformat you'd need to reinstall that even if you installed it on F.

Keep no data on your boot drive, just OS and programs if you want. Keep program installation files and/or backups of your program CDs on your second drive if you like. I usually use 20-30gb partition for Windows XP.

exactly. you beat me to it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom