9600XT Overclocking Problems...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Merkwürdigeliebe

Benevolent Cake Despot
Some background info:
I recently bought a Sapphire 9600XT 256MB DDR, clock @ 500/300 (600 Mhz effective). I removed the stock fan and replaced it with an Iceberq5 Cooler. It came with RAMsinks and all. Here's a pic:

mlna00437my.jpg

Awesome, yes. I wanted to do some heavy-duty overclocking, alas, I am running into a multitude of problems.

Here be a list of them:

#1) It came with an OC program called TriXX. It didn't look as impressive as say Rivatuner or Coolbits, so I didn't bother with it. I decided to oc it in Rivatuner, but each time after I do Test and Apply, it resets back to (500/300). Initially I put them @ max (750/475 - which would have been kick ***), then it reset when I pressed apply, and then I set them very litlle, only 10 Mhz each, to see if it would reset, and yes, it did.

#2) So I scrapped Rivatuner, shut it down, turned off all overclocking and went to TriXX. I clocked it to 800/500 and the TriXX monitor shows it at those speeds!

trixx3jq.jpg

I run a few games, and all is well, no artifacts, nothing. So I'm like "Awesome". But then... I opened up PC Wizard and ATi Catalyst. Both of them read completely different speeds!!

cat2vq.jpg
pcwizard6ho.jpg

So then I'm like, woah, wtf. Something wrong here. I knew 800/500 was way too good to be true.. But then, I noticed a little option in Catalyst, under the tab, ATi Overdrive, there was a little box that you had to check that said "Enable ATi Overdrive" and I was like, "Oh, so the card is locked from OCing until you enable OCing thru Catalyst, and that means checking off "Enable ATi Overdrive" and pressing "Apply". I made sure TriXX was shutdown, and I did just that: checked off the box "Enable ATi Overdrive" and pressed "Apply" and then suddenly, I was like, "OH NOES!!!!! WTF IZ HAPPENING TO MY SCREENZORS!! SHIET I AM TEH NUBLETTE!!"

I quickly shut down and restarted, and risked doing the same process as before to bring to you guys a screenshot!!

untitled2xo.jpg

This screenshot looks kinda blurry, but in reality, it was just purple/pinkish, white and blue rectangle dots everywhere and everything was ****ed up.

SAVE ME 1337 HAxX0REZ!!

Seriously, what's the problem, and what do I need to do about it?

Tell me what you hit stable with that. I only hit 550/620 from 500/594. I also messed with my bios so the oc and tweaks with drivers and bios boost my fps as much as 20fps in games!

when useing riva tuner u can disable that test u talk of. u still need to run it but u will always pass :p il just try and figure out the way that u do it for ati cards :p

Pepsiboy700 said:
Tell me what you hit stable with that. I only hit 550/620 from 500/594. I also messed with my bios so the oc and tweaks with drivers and bios boost my fps as much as 20fps in games!

I'm getting 550/680, which is really not too bad. I'm getting about 15-25 additional FPS in the ATITool 3D test. I'm happy.Quick question to throw @ you guys. If you were to put a percentage as to how much case cooling and how much video card cooling actually cools the graphics card, what would be the ratio? For example, "75% of the video card cooling comes from the card's own cooling and 25% comes from case cooling." Anybody know?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom