How Long Will 7800GT OC Last?

Status
Not open for further replies.

billru44

Baseband Member
Hey,

I'm looking at this card:

BFG GeForce 7800 GT OC 256MB

I'm new to gaming... How long would one expect this card to last in today's gaming industry?

I would say around 1 year on max graphics, maybe more, but you will get a good 3 years outta it if you play games on medium or high settings. That question is a bit hard to answer as games are getting better and better all theime.

The biggest problem with the 7800GT is going to be the release of Windows Vista next year and how its not going to be backwards compatable with DX9. When Vista comes out, everybody is going to have to get DX10 hardware if they want to keep playing games decently. Vista will only emulate DX9 which will result in very poor performance.

Whee. But will there be decent new games that'll work in XP after Vista comes out? 'Cause I'm not switching to Vista when it comes out.

I'M GOING ALL-OUT LINUX, BABY! =P

I hear that when Vista comes out, all new games will be Vista-only. This will force anybody who doesn't want a new system with a DX10 card to migrate to the XBOX360, so its a win-win situation for Microsoft.

BandwidthHogg said:
The biggest problem with the 7800GT is going to be the release of Windows Vista next year and how its not going to be backwards compatable with DX9. When Vista comes out, everybody is going to have to get DX10 hardware if they want to keep playing games decently. Vista will only emulate DX9 which will result in very poor performance.
ha where is your link

dude, you dont think there is going to be a driver update for the cards to work with dx10? if not you are a silly sally.

adiosk8 said:
dude, you dont think there is going to be a driver update for the cards to work with dx10? if not you are a silly sally.

They will probably work, but DX10 effects are going to be quite advanced over DX9, so you will want a DX10 card to play post-Vista release games.

That's horrible. I'm NOT switching to Vista. NEVER. And I'm not getting an XBox360. If anything, I'll get a PS3.

I technically didn't even switch to XP since my copy is... Um. . . Not-not-illegal. =)

WorldIndustries said:
That's horrible. I'm NOT switching to Vista. NEVER. And I'm not getting an XBox360. If anything, I'll get a PS3.

I technically didn't even switch to XP since my copy is... Um. . . Not-not-illegal. =)

Even if you switch to vista your computer is not good enough xD It's takes 512MB of ram MINIMUM (1GB recommended)... gosh... stupid MS...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom