M2 sockets

Status
Not open for further replies.
P.P. Mguire said:
So it will run Servers as well?
It will have 940 pins but they wont be in the same place as socket 940. I read somewhere that the server socket will have 1100 pins or something like that.

Nothing to be to excited about. DDR2 hasn't helped intel any.

It doesn't make sense at all. They've been naming sockets due to the number of pins on a specific CPU. 370, 478, 775, 939, 940???

Now, they decide... hmmm we'll create new CPU's with new support, they'll have 940 pins, but now we'll call it M2. Just so that we don't confuse people? lol

What's next? Socket WTF - It'll have 939 pins but it's support new stuff.. So let's call it Socket WTF!!!

DDR2 hasn't helped intel any
yeah that's cause Intel was still using the north bridge....AMD did away with the north bridge and put in the ondie memory controller which gave the same and in some cases more bandwidth than an Intel system with DDR2....now take that AMD optimized memory controller, add in DDR2, and you should be seeing upwards of 10gb/sec+ memory bandwidth....so IMO it should help out AMD quite a bit.

It doesn't make sense at all. They've been naming sockets due to the number of pins on a specific CPU. 370, 478, 775, 939, 940???

Now, they decide... hmmm we'll create new CPU's with new support, they'll have 940 pins, but now we'll call it M2
Well......it's actually only one of two names :p

Socket 462 = Socket A
Socket 939 = Socket T ( I think...although I know Intel has a socket T....)...point being I believe AMD technically has two different naming schemes for their processors.

However......inquirer says it won't be M2:

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=28367

Says it'll be AM2

Running said:
its not exactly skt 940. like its still skt 940 but the old opterons that are skt 940 wont work with the motherboards even though its still the same socket. i dont know why, thats just how it is haha.

the reason that the 940 pin cpu's of old (eg the optero's) won't work is beacause of the onboard mem controller. the mem controller on these cpu's is not designed to run ddr2 and so they won't work. in order to make sure there isn't confution amd has called this new socket m2 not 940 :p

Nah it actualy makes sense. Becasue the old S940 dosent support the new memory architecture and everything. Im gonna get DFIs new board and something dual core
the reason that the 940 pin cpu's of old (eg the optero's) won't work is beacause of the onboard mem controller. the mem controller on these cpu's is not designed to run ddr2 and so they won't work. in order to make sure there isn't confution amd has called this new socket m2 not 940 :p
:rolleyes:

Running said:
its not exactly skt 940. like its still skt 940 but the old opterons that are skt 940 wont work with the motherboards even though its still the same socket. i dont know why, thats just how it is haha.
they will be physically different aswell. you won't be able to physically fit a socket 940 CPU into socket M2, or vice versa

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom