Compaq Presario 4550 Recovery Disk

Status
Not open for further replies.

leecherous

Baseband Member
Does anyone know where I can download or purchase a Compaq Presario 4550 Recovery Disk. I have lost my original CD which came with the 5 to 6 year old computer. Currently, I have to Format C: Drive, reinstall Windows 98 and all the original applications. A Virus attack won't allow Windows 98 access to any applications. I hate to contact Compaq-HP since the restoration CD may be obsolete and unsupported. Besides, Compaq-HP will charge me an "arm and a leg" for the original equipment CD. Incidentally, the Compaq Presario was infiltrated by the "SirCom Worm Virus" and it left the computer inoperative as far as software applications: MSCONFIG ... REGEDIT ... WINIPCFG ... ETC. Otherwise, Windows 98 boots up to a normal desktop. jleach@surewest.net

you can only get that restore CD from the manufacturer or if someone else has the same machine you do. otherwise you can just install winME or win98SE onto the machine. winME has good support for onboard sound on old machines.

you can get the rest of the drivers from their website, which may need win98SE or winME to install correctly. win98FE has many problems with their drivers from my experience. else maybe it is time for that new computer replacement which is overdue for some time now.

Thanks for the help, ekÆsine. I'm going to wait for more
comments to my question on this forum prior to making
re-installation decisions. Compaq Computers are extremely
proprietized so I don't want to perform the general tasks of
reformatting the HDD in Windows 98ME or SE and installing the
application software generically as you would with a custom-
put-together computer. jleach@surewest.net

i dont think u will be able to get the recovery cd for windows 98 even from compaq simply because they are no longer in production. beleive me, i work for compaq

Thanks, Maverick-Teck ... I was able to kill the "SirCam Worm Virus" after downloading the Killer Tool from Symantec-Norton's web site. My Windows 98 Compaq Model 4550 works great now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom