M2 sockets

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrZucchiniHead

Daemon Poster
ok i finally found out that it will, be at the most, 6 months before i build my first computer cause we cant get my grandmas house ready to sell yet. i just want to know when the M2 sockets come out and is it worth it to wait if its over the time i build my computer?

Socket M2 will come out in the spring of this next year.

Just remember that the price to performance ratio is gonna be a little lower than skt939 at that time due to it being a brand new platform.

According to AMD plans, skt939 is here to stay for a few more years, so don't get to anxious to jump to M2.

Now is a good a time as any to build a computer, IMO.

Socket M2 will be released sometime in the second quarter of 2006, and socket 939 will be around till 2007-2008 with semprons. That is what i've heard

M2 is supposed to support DDR2 RAM. It will also have one more pin then 939 so it'll be 940. Also, there are rumors that any AMD 65nm product will be socket M2. As far as i'm concerned... it's nothing to get too excited aboot.

its not exactly skt 940. like its still skt 940 but the old opterons that are skt 940 wont work with the motherboards even though its still the same socket. i dont know why, thats just how it is haha.

IMO I would wait till M2 is released. That way when newer more powerfull CPUs are released you will be able to upgrade. Since Sempron is all that will be around in 2008 for 939. Can't remember the source I got this from.... It's nothing great, but the newer CPUs are like 5500+ as far as I know. And DDR2.... I would like some of that.... So me, I am waiting till M2 is released and MSI perfects a motherboard for that socket. And no the Socket 940 and M2 sockets are not compatable.... even though they have the same ammount of pins.... Kinda gay aint it?

Nah it actualy makes sense. Becasue the old S940 dosent support the new memory architecture and everything. Im gonna get DFIs new board and something dual core.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom