Getting the most out of a laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Laptops are made to be portable and run on batteries. You can't have a super fast, power sucking system if you want to be able to run it on a battery. Heat is another major factor with the tight space inside a laptop.

digima$ter said:
Laptops are not made to be the best gamers. They are made for work and durability and will be slow with a big juicy game.(Trust me I had a laptop and it sucked). The problem with laptops is the cache and usually the RAM are low and that is EXTREMELY bad for games. If u want to game get a desktop like me.
I have to somewhat disagree with this comment. My laptop has a 1.7 GHz Pentium M which has 2 MB of L2 cache. It also has 1 GB of DDR2 533 RAM. The video card is only a ATI Radeon X300 (which I have overclocked to 497/335) and it will play DOOM 3 no problem. I have the graphics set on ultra (highest) and I don't go below 20fps usually, but my resolution is set on the lowest, which is ok by me. My laptop is on slouch, but it's no super computer either because I still need it to be portable.

OpticalIllusion said:
Laptops are made to be portable and run on batteries. You can't have a super fast, power sucking system if you want to be able to run it on a battery. Heat is another major factor with the tight space inside a laptop.

I have to somewhat disagree with this comment. My laptop has a 1.7 GHz Pentium M which has 2 MB of L2 cache. It also has 1 GB of DDR2 533 RAM. The video card is only a ATI Radeon X300 (which I have overclocked to 497/335) and it will play DOOM 3 no problem. I have the graphics set on ultra (highest) and I don't go below 20fps usually, but my resolution is set on the lowest, which is ok by me. My laptop is on slouch, but it's no super computer either because I still need it to be portable.

ummmm ya thats not a "the best gaming computer" if it was it would run doom on full setting with hightest res, and +60 FPS

your laptop is like a C-, maby a D+ computer, not a A +, only like 400 people have A+ computer,

but it is +VERY nice for a laptp, props duds, props, is it a FragBooK???

~NOGA 8()

NOGA said:
ummmm ya thats not a "the best gaming computer" if it was it would run doom on full setting with hightest res, and +60 FPS

your laptop is like a C-, maby a D+ computer, not a A +, only like 400 people have A+ computer,

but it is +VERY nice for a laptp, props duds, props, is it a FragBooK???

~NOGA 8()
Nope, it's actually only a Dell. I got a deal at only $1100 and I like it. lol Thanks for props. :D

You're right though, no laptop is going to be the best computer at anything but mobility. As far as power and expansion goes, the desktop is always going to win. More upgrades, more space, and better cooling.

I'm just saying that todays laptops will hold their own at performance and gaming. They do pretty decent, but are far from the BEST, much like 80% of the desktops out there today. It takes lots of money to have the best. :)

To the original question, there isn't much you can really do since you have integrated video. I don't think you can even overclock that. Here is what you can do if you want to tear into your new laptop.

1. Upgrade to the 2.2 GHz Pentium M. If your mobo can support it.
2. Upgrade to 2 GB of RAM. Again, if your mobo can support it.
2. Upgrade the video card. After you do this, you will be able to overclock it for more performance.

Yeah I know it's no good for games in a hardware pespective. Gamings not what I intended to use it for. But what can i do to get more speed. I.e. software tweaks, graphics driver tweaks etc. I do have a proper desktop gaming computer which I have built but I just wanted to be able to play games with my mates once in a while over the network. I don't really intend to game on the move only at home (it's more comfortable and has a constant power supply). I use my desktop when I have no mates round but when i do they want to play as well so i wanted to be able to play the newer games hence the need for extra power. In other words i want my laptop to run faster without buying a new one. Anyway that set aside is it possible to add extra RAM to my laptop ?

kahlos said:
Yeah I know it's no good for games in a hardware pespective. Gamings not what I intended to use it for. But what can i do to get more speed. I.e. software tweaks, graphics driver tweaks etc. I do have a proper desktop gaming computer which I have built but I just wanted to be able to play games with my mates once in a while over the network. I don't really intend to game on the move only at home (it's more comfortable and has a constant power supply). I use my desktop when I have no mates round but when i do they want to play as well so i wanted to be able to play the newer games hence the need for extra power. In other words i want my laptop to run faster without buying a new one. Anyway that set aside is it possible to add extra RAM to my laptop ?
Read my post above. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom