Enabling USB ports 3 & 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did as you said. Unplugged the scanner. Uninstalled the USB controllers in sys prop. Rebooted. USB drivers reinstalled. Waited til desktop and plugged the scanner into the front. Nothing showing in the taskbar. Clicked on the scanner software. Clicked on "scanner". The scanner box appeared for the first time!!! Looked like it was going to work. But when I tried a scan it said the scanner was not ready. So I tried to scan again. Then it said the cable was not plugged in. So close!!! Something else I noticed. There is a "direct scan" in the sys try that you can use to save time. It works with the scanner plugged into the back but not the front.

I dont think you understood, i wanted you to uninstall the drivers and LEAVE the scanner unplugged while it rebooted. when it was all booted up, THEN plug it in to the front. If it does not install the scanner, then the ports are bad or its wired incorrectly.

I thought I did just that but I'll try once more before throwing in the towel. I noticed in the manual, while it doesn't give pin connections, it shows pin no.1 at the lower left of the header while the pic from ECS showed no.1 at the upper right. I tried it again wiring the connections with pin no.1 at the lower left like in the manual, but it didn't show the scanner in the USB controller like it does in the pic so I now have it back to the pic connections and the scanner shows again in USB2. I'll uninstall and reinstall the USB drivers with the scanner unplugged, reboot and wait until it has completely rebooted and then plug the scanner into the front port(s)

I unplugged the scanner. Uninstalled the USB drivers. Rebooted. The drivers reinstalled. waited til booting stopped. Plugged the scanner into the front. A window came up saying "new hardware found, installing software for your new hardware". It showed in the taskbar. Tried a scan but it still says "cable not connected". Let's quit on this one. I'm getting disgusted. I have two giant computer repair books to look thru. Maybe I'll find something there. Ecniv, thanks so much for your help. If I find an answer I'll post it here for you see. Thanks again. Collieman

if it said new hardware found when you plugged it into the front USB ports, then the USB ports are working.

This is now a software issue, leave it in the front ports and try re-installing the drivers and whatever software you are scanning to.

Ecniv, I borrowed an Epson USB printer and a USB Zip Drive today from my place of employment. I installed them one at a time using the front ports and both devices worked just fine. Reinstalled the scanner using the latest driver but it just won't work on the front ports. Must be an incompatability issue with that brand of scanner (Mustek). Even tried a fresh install of WIN98SE. Collieman

Oh well, Guess your gonna have to use that back ones for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom