Major HDD problmes

Status
Not open for further replies.
that will be very annoying, as ill have to get some new optical drives. the HDD isnt such an issue as its old and only has windowsa and a few programs on it.
i just find it a bit coincidental that they all died at the same time and *whilst* i was isntalling a new component. im guessing and thing with the PSU would have to be a drastic problem and wouldnt happen without me knowticing. so im wondering what could have caused it.

Did you ground yourself before wokring on the computer? Static electricity is the enemy of all repair attempts. I not only gorund myself but wear thin rubber gloves (you can buy them at the auto parts store for $12 for 100 pair!!) to prevent component a failure do static discharge. It doesn't take much to destroy a HD/CDrom controller chip, mobo, or other plug in component board!!!

im a real bad boy for that stuff. never do it, even though i know i should.
what would i have had to touch on the CD drives to kill em with static?

The controller boards, for example: here are the results of IDE 0 and IDE1 use of HD's. This relates only to XP as that is the system I tested. You can only use a hd with an 80 wire IDE cable. If the drive is the master on the secondary IDE channel, the system finds it but the optical drive CD/DVD goes bye bye and the HD is not accessable. If you put the HD in as a slave the system finds the drive but it is not accessable and the optical master is. If you use cable select, same deal. I removed the upper and lower filters in each case and NADA........no readable HD could be found on the secondary IDE channel. Verdict: No soap. :p

heres what the guy in question has to say about it.

[16:55] -: Sky~hog:- . (dodgy Connection): can you give me a direct account of how you three HDD drives are pluged in?
[16:59] Úlliot° ҳ̸Ҳ̸ҳ âlu€arD: umm
[16:59] Úlliot° ҳ̸Ҳ̸ҳ âlu€arD: ok
[17:00] Úlliot° ҳ̸Ҳ̸ҳ âlu€arD: 1 spinpoint in slave, 1 maxtor on master both plugged into port 1 on mobo
[17:00] Úlliot° ҳ̸Ҳ̸ҳ âlu€arD: maxtor 2 plugged into master and cd drive plugged into slave on port 2 on mobo

im certain its working on his, thou this may be mobo varabul.
im 90% certain that ive killed the drives now, and ive got another one from my dad to see if i can get it to work.
ill let you know how that goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom