installing new hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

rookie

Beta member
My computer is dead and I suspect it is the hard drive that wnet bad. The computer currently has a Maxtor 200 GB, 8 MB cache and Western Digital 36.7 GB Raptor SATA 10,000 RPM, 8 MB cache hard drives set up in series. The Western Digital is the primary hard drive. Is there a way for me to test to see if the Western Digital is the problem?
I see hard drives on sale but do not know much about them. I see a Maxtor 300 GB, 16 MB cache ATA hard drive on sale. Could I replace the Western Digital with this drive?
Abviously, I do not know a lot about the subject. Thanks in advance for any help.

The computer will not boot up. I have treatd to reformat the disk with no luck. I also indicates that it does not see the keyboard or mouse.

It is a pretty good chance that if your system will not boot then there is somethin wrong with the primary drive.

But since it is not findy the keyboard then that sounds like there is something wrong with motherboard.

Is it giving you an error during the POST?

When you say it will not boot up do u mean nothign happens when you turn it on or does it turn on but not load up the OS when it's supposed to

Tell us everything that happens from the time you hit the power button on.

But, to answer your original question, yes, you can replace your Raptor with any other HD. I recommend getting another WD or a Seagate, though.

But tell us what kind of problem you are having. It would be unfortunate if you replaced a hard drive, and continued having the same problem:confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom