is this risky?

Status
Not open for further replies.
take the fan off, lift the arm up, gently lift the cpu and check...I havent messed with a p3,p2 in a looooooong time so it might be different than what i said

If i am not mistaken on this. mobo's can only handle a certain speed. So if you put int the P3 where the P@ was it wont work. The speed of the P3 is greater and therefor wont work in the mobo which in turn could damage both the CPU and the mobo.

Also if i am not mistaken P2 and P3 mobos are not compatable with wach other. The P3 had higher specs for FSB and cache. The mobo might not be able to handle it.

I know this is true with newer mobos. I was gonna flip out a Celeron with a P4 but it wouldnt work. They were the same pin but the mobo oculdnt handle the speed. This is going off memory from A+ class so i could be off.

Also if this is to get around the problem you are having with your XP install 2Fast this still wont work. XP will not recognize the hardware installed. The processor will be the same but the rest of the hardware you have installed will still give you the stop 7b error.

ok then what do i do? cause i need my p3 back.. and it wont boot of the cd, even after i flashed the bios.

Cant you just install 98 back on it. Since you are having so many problems installing XP why not go back until you can get the problem fixed.

The only thing i can think of is if you have a 98 boot disk use that. Load with CD drivers and from there try to install XP. That is the only thing i can think of off hand.

Other than my suggestion in the other thread about 2 partitions and such.

Makaveli213 said:
If i am not mistaken on this. mobo's can only handle a certain speed. So if you put int the P3 where the P@ was it wont work. The speed of the P3 is greater and therefor wont work in the mobo which in turn could damage both the CPU and the mobo.

Also if i am not mistaken P2 and P3 mobos are not compatable with wach other. The P3 had higher specs for FSB and cache. The mobo might not be able to handle it.

I know this is true with newer mobos. I was gonna flip out a Celeron with a P4 but it wouldnt work. They were the same pin but the mobo oculdnt handle the speed. This is going off memory from A+ class so i could be off.

Also if this is to get around the problem you are having with your XP install 2Fast this still wont work. XP will not recognize the hardware installed. The processor will be the same but the rest of the hardware you have installed will still give you the stop 7b error.

I swap out celerons for pent 4's all of the time. I usually reinstall windows when I do this so I don't know if the OS will recognize it from the switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom