drives are missing!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokindog

Baseband Member
I have a dual boot system with windows XP home and professional. My windows professional detects all my CD ROM drives and DVD drives, but XP home doesn't see any of them and yes I want to keep both.

I did a system restore back to an earlier date on home without backing up the files and that's when I lost the drives.

I've tried uninstalling the devices and then updating the drivers and I get this code 39 crap.

does anyone know a simple fix?

control panel, classic view, administrative tools, computer management, disk management, make sure all drives are assigned a drive letter, make sure all drivers are installed and drives aren't disabled.

1. Start Registry Editor (regedit).
2. Locate the UpperFilters value under the following key in the registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
3. On the Edit menu, click Delete, and then click OK.
4. Locate the LowerFilters value under the same key in the registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
5. On the Edit menu, click Delete, and then click OK.
6. Quit Registry Editor.NOTE: After you remove the Upperfilters value and the Lowerfilters value, if you notice lost functionality in a particular program, such as CD recording software, you may need to reinstall that software. If the problem recurs, consult with the software vendor for assistance.

7. Restart your computer.

FYI if you Google error codes for XP etc. you will be given the opprrtunity to use microsoft's support pages. Fixes can be easily found by Googling the error code. :)

I guess I don't need to mention to uninstall you secondary ide drivers and reboot

8 out of 10 times, it usaully works. I had a couple of time that I suggest it and it didn't work, but for the most part it does

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom