Ghetto gaming challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well the reason I was going the OC route is to achieve FX-xx speeds for a bargain price....I haven't found anything other than the OC'd 148 that can do this for the price.

=SW=

The 146 and 144 will also OC to 2.6-2.8GHZ (mabey more), you would just need better RAM for them because they have a lower multi. It's possible you could get a 148 with a bad stepping that only OCs to 2.4GHz, and you could get a 146/144 that OC's to 2.9GHz+. I would recommend getting a 170 however, because it is dual core and will last you a lot longer. Also if you get an 0546 (which I think is the current stepping) they have been hitting 2.8GHz per core on air cooling.

Actually I was just looking into a PSU and RAM (this build is gunna kill me)

The PSU I was looking at was the Powerstream 520.

The RAM I'm up in the air with.... BH-5 or TCCD ?
I found alot of talk re: BH5 and being power hungry which is going to screw me up with having to adjust the PSU ?
It seems the TCCD isn't going to give me those issues but the timings aren't as tight...can anyone shed some light on this or comment on the PSU ? I'm total nOObage on this ground.... currently I'm running pc800 RD and haven't touched it.
I want this to be a cheap build, but as I'm in uncharted waters here I want this rig to be bulletproof.

=SW=

yes teh OCZ powerstream is one of the best psu's.

If a DFI mobo you shuold go with BH-5 as DFI mobo's can go somewhere up to 4V lol

TCCD's are really good also, but they are hard to find arent they?

A friend of mine bought a 148 with the CAB2E 0546 stepping and has it up to 2.8ghz stable on air. So I'm thinking the "bad" stepping...isn't THAT bad. What advantage would I get with the 170 considering the price is pretty much doubled ? ....and if I was able to find the extra money wouldn't the 175 be a better deal @ 2.2 for the extra $60 ? or doesn't the 175 OC as well ?

Sorry about all the questions, some might be kinda stupid. Hope your up to put'n on a clinic ;)

=SW=

To clear things up about BH-5 and TCCD.

BH-5:
-Can maintain 2-2-2-5-1T timings under heavy overclock

-Generally caps off at 250Mhz; the older BH-5 could hit 270MHz if you were lucky, but they don't make that anymore so you would have to buy it used somewhere.

-Requires excess voltage when overclocked (ex: 3.5v+ for 250MHz)

-Generally cheaper than TCCD.

TCCD:
-Requires looser timings when overclocked, like 2.5-3-3-7-1T.

-Can reach very high overclocks, 300MHz+.

-Even under heavy overclock, the most voltage you should ever feed TCCD is 2.9v.

-Generally more expensive than BH-5.

SomethingWicked said:
A friend of mine bought a 148 with the CAB2E 0546 stepping and has it up to 2.8ghz stable on air. So I'm thinking the "bad" stepping...isn't THAT bad. What advantage would I get with the 170 considering the price is pretty much doubled ?

Sorry about all the questions, some might be kinda stupid. Hope your up to put'n on a clinic ;)

=SW=
The 148 is single core, the 170 is dual core. Newer programs and games (like Unreal Engine 3) are going to have a big advantage with dual core because they are going to be multithreaded.

The only difference in OCing with the 170 and 175 is the multiplier, on the 170 it is 10x and on the 175 it's 11x. Yes, the 170 is stock 2ghz and the 175 stock is 2.2GHz, but that should have no real affect on overclocking. If you are getting BH5 RAM I would get the 175, if you are getting TCCD, get the 170. That hard drive is fine. You might want to look into a SATA2 hard drive or one with 16mb of cache, but it's up to you.

http://www.pccanada.com/viewitem.asp?id=4008

Get a 165...they all overclock about the same and they should all hit about the same wall, the 165 is currently $350 at pccanada which is a steal and a half...I'm suprised they haven't sold out yet

TCCDs are much much better than BH-5s and you can find TCCDs for around $170 in Rev2s plus you get the OCZ tech support which is absolutely amazing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom