How TO Change Processor

Status
Not open for further replies.
yep kboy, chip pullers are for those black chips that look like insect with metal feet. BxSlipSk8718 please don't call someone dumb, everyone is entitled to their opinions ;)

stan-the-man said:

asus warns,This is for experts or experienced users.

Are you saying that putting a processor and its heatsink on a mobo is for experts, or just removing/replacing one?

stan, i was questioning what a chip puller was because XT suggested that one be used. Now i know. Also, if we can find out what the make and model of the mobo is, it can be looked up on the internet to see what processors it will take. The manual makes this easier, but is not always necessary.

True_Orb, I think why they say this is for experts is because its very easy to get a processor that doesn't work on one particular mobo, and an "expert" will know better where to find the info on compatible processors.

As mentioned earlier, you should know what kind of motherboard you have. usually the motherboard comes with a manual tha specifically shows how to put the CPU on the board.

As mentioned earlier, onece you remove the old CPU from the heatsink it's agood idea to reapply a small amount of heatsink paste to the new CPU to be usre there is good conductivity between the two components. It's very important for the heatsink to be able to conduct heat away from the CPU.

Most board made within the last year don't require switches or jumpers to be set, but knowing what mother board you have is important. Some motherboards simply will not handle the newer processors, and some simply do not handle the advanced features or speeds of the newer processors. If you don't have a chipset that supports hyper-threading, don't put in a hyperthreading CPU. You may want to check the BIOS version number on your system. (Pause the scrolling on the screen as it loads, or better, get one of the utilities that reads all your motherboard data. Some of them are shareware or free. Start at http://www.wimsbios.com/ or http://hardwarehell.com/bios.shtml for starting points on exploring your system.

Good luck!

Mike

BE VERY CARFUL.

DO NOT PUT TOO MUCH PASTE!!!

DO NOT PUT TOO LITTLE EITHER!!!

AHHH!!!!!!

this is a really delicated presedure, just the glueing on. form my experience it is very easy to drown your cpu.
I highly suggest you getting a professional to do it for under 50 buck. trust me i know ive lost 3 cpus in this presedure. luckily they were shitty old ones that costed 50 dollars for today but if yuo get a higher end cpu, look into getting it done by a proffesional

lol i can see how you might be confused about now :) .
The best teacher is reading and pictures plus hands on .Remeber the CPU is very fragile , make sure your static free when your working inside the computer. Go here and read How to build a Computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom