HDD size

Status
Not open for further replies.

iharish_bang

Solid State Member
i formated my HDD and after loading Win XP pro teh HDD size in OS is only showing 33 GB and teh HDD size is 40 GB.... Please suggest

assuming that you check the exact size of the drive before you re instaled the XP pro, ignore the next paragraph. if this is the first time you looked check this..

im guessing that this could be somthing to do with the buffer? and maybe the normal paramiters where the drive if defined. i oftern find that i have a drive up to 5-6Gb out of what its described as.

so is it normal or something wrong with my drive or OS.... if yes please suggest how to retrieve back the capacity....

The problem with drive size, as reported by manufacturers today, is that a gigabyte is actually reported in binary not metric value. We assume that 1 megabyte = 1,000 bytes which is not true. The Gigabyte, in binary, is actually 2 to the 30th power or 1073741824 bytes. So, 40 gig metric divided by 1,073,741,824 = 37 gigs (approximate). Yours is reporting 33?????? please open My Computer and right click on that hard drive and tell me what is reported in the properties on that hard drive????

yes i used a quick format... and the size is from teh proprties of teh HDD it shows total size as 33.1 GB and 27.9 free space, i don't have any application like MS office installed it is a clean installation.....

The properties section should report the number of partitions. More than 1? It may well be that you will have to boot up that puter with a floppy and run Fdisk and remove the non-disk partition and then reintall windows. That drive should show 37+ gigs not 33.

Please tell me the drive manufacturer and model #. Very puzzling why it should onl read as a 33 gig dirve>????????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom