New PC Build. Only one question...plz help if you understand current RAM technology

Status
Not open for further replies.

JPW

Beta member
I need to upgrade my home theater pc. I know exactly what board and processor I want to go with:

A7N8X-E Deluxe
AMD XP 3000+

All the other components I already have such as a MyHD hdtv card, ATI video card, 3/4 terrabyte of hdds, etc.. My biggest problem is RAM. I just don't understand what is out there and all the available choices. I have done some reading and I somewhat understand dual channel and latency but all I really want is someone who understands to recommend a good price/performance option. I will not be overclocking. I could afford something like the higher end of the Corsair XMS series but I just don't know if I am getting anything in return for those prices.

Could someone please recommend something specific (a link would be great)? I will be doing some gaming on this pc but I don't think that is a major issue since I won't be overclocking. Any help is greatly appreciated.

dual channel is using at least 2 identical make/speed/size memory, it isn't something to worry too much about. i would get corsair XMS at least 512MB and DDR400 speed(also known as pc3200). make sure the mobo supports that speed. XMS is not high end. corsair LL low latency series are the high end.

almost all new mobos that have a kt600 or nforce2 chipset support ddr400. i can recommend the biostar m7ncd pro and asus a7n8x E-deluxe mobos. a7n8x E-deluxe is a better if you can afford it.

To add to the question above, hope you can answer ek!. How much of a difference performance wise are we talking between top of the line corsair and the value series that all of the top name brands put out.

Im bad like Rick James.

Well as for the performance difference I don't think it would be too noticable really:confused: I would just go with 2x 512mb XMS series, that should run to about $250 bucks or so:confused: :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom