New Harddrive Installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

theycallhimtom

Beta member
I got a matching 200 gb hard drive for x-mas and when installing it I have some weird problems. So I had to IDE plugins on my motherboard. I have one cable which has my dvd burner on it that goes into one slot. Then I have the cable with both of my hard drives in the other slot. I made sure to set jumpers correctly and to make sure the master and slave drive used the right part of the cord. Then I booted up and windows tells me there is a major change in my harddrives so I have to register again. When I finish booting up I have no internet and my second (new) harddrive is not showing up.

So I test it many different ways. I have come to the conclusion that anything with the jumper setting of slave will not work, or anything in the slave plugin on the cord. This means that I can only have two IDE devices (two cords can only have a master on each one) which is lame cause I need my dvd drive and I really want both hard drives. Any suggestions?

Harddrives are Seagate 200GB IDE
Motherboard is MSI KT4AV
DVD is emprex basic dvd+-r

i actually got a 200gb seagate HD for x-mas too, and i had some problems with it, but i was making it my boot HD.

If you want it as your slave drive, make sure the correct IDE cables are in each drive, (you say u did), and that a jumper is in the main drive to make it master, and no jumpers are in the 2nd drive to make it slave, (you say u did). So, after that, if u can boot up on your main old HD, and your not seeing the new drive? (i think this is ur problem), you have to partition your new harddrive for it to be recognized to have any storage on it.

"Then I booted up and windows tells me there is a major change in my harddrives so I have to register again."
-This makes it sound like the drives wern't configured correctly with jumpers and IDE cables.

If you say the slave part of the IDE cable wont work, try gettin a new cable, or a cable you know worked before, and put it in there. You should be able to have 4 IDE devices for 2 cords. On each cord, a master/slave.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom