CL question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liveyman

Solid State Member
I found some Corsair Value Select ram on sale. I can get 2 1gb sticks for $180 out the door. My question is about latency. These sticks are rated CL 3. Am I really going to notice a huge difference if I spend a hundred more bucks ( in some cases even more ) on a lower latency ram? I am a gamer, so I don't want junk in my system. I have read nothing but good reviews on this ram ( part # VS1GB400C3 ). Everyone says it is solid and reliable. I am willing to spend the extra cash if it is really worth it to buy the high end stuff, but saving money is always a plus with me. Let me know what you guys think.

If you were to put that valueRAM into your computer, go play a game, then swap it out with some expensive stuff, and play that same game you wont notice a difference.

The only difference you will notice between the 2 is if you are a)Overclocking b)Benchmarking.

IMO, unless you are overclocking, valueRAM is the only way to go.

Yes, the only reason to go with expensive ram is if you are OC'ing. BUT you can still OC with valueram just you will have to run a memory divider.

Oh boy

This is how it starts, ram is basically rated at some particular speed

PC-2100 - DDR266
PC-2700 - DDR333
PC-3200 - DDR400
PC-3500 - DDR434
PC-3700 - DDR464
PC-4000 - DDR500
PC-4200 - DDR525
PC-4400 - DDR550
PC-4800 - DDR600

Most AMD motherboards support PC3200 which is the usual speed for RAM. IF you donÂ’t know ram is random access memory, which serves as a temporary storage of files that the CPU needs to access quickly. This will help when your opening many programs at once or your multi tasking. In games it will help you during loading times, and minimizing the game when your not supposed to .

So your problem is, you bought corsair valueselect  knowing that its not good at overclocking. Rofl. Anyways you want to OC your cpu but you can’t OC any further cause your stupid ram wont go any further. You tried various ram timings and voltages but nothing is working!!. So this is what you do O.O smart pc makers. Instead of throwing out your ram and buying some decent ones like OCZ ones you can run memory dividers woot or q00t. Memory Dividers come in a list of things like this

400 = 1:1
333 = 5:6
266 = 2:3
200 = 1:2

or

200 = 1:1
166 = 5:6
133 = 2:3
100 = 1:4

Or if you have a DFI

200 = 1:1
180 = 9:10
166 = 5:6
150 = 3:4
143 = 5:7
133 = 2:3
125 =
100 = 1:2

So on default the ram is 200 or 400, which means if your running the FSB/HTT at 200 then your ram would be running at 200. If you were to run your FSB/HTT at 220 then your ram would run at 220mhz. So your problem is your valueselect wont go past 220mhz, which is pretty lucky for valueselect. So you would first try different mem timings then voltages, if nothing works your last choices is memory dividers . This is where you would put it at the next step down. Which would be 166, to solve this, you can set up a 5:6 FSB:RAM ratio. Basically, this ratio will mean that for every 6MHz that your FSB runs at your ram will only run at 5mhz . So if you put it at 166mhz the memory divider. Then your ram would only be running at 183mhz which is lower then the stock speed of 200mhz, so you know your ram would definitely do that. Which means your cpu will run at 220mhz while your ram is only running at 183. Now you can successfully be stable without any memory errors for your cpu to run at 220mhz woot woot.

do you get it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom