Computer shutting down after 25 minutes of idle

Status
Not open for further replies.

hm629

Baseband Member
Hi,

I have a problem with my computer. It shuts down every time there's a 25 minutes of idle. It doesn't go through the Shut Down procedure, it just shuts down as if someone pulls out the plug out of the power jack. It's been doing this ever since I upgraded to XP. What I can't understand is that when my computer is not in idle (when I'm using it), it doesn't shut down. So therefore I don't think there's a problem with my fan or power supply. I have also just recently reformatted my hard drive, so if there's any virus/trojans, it should have been wiped out (not to mention I've already run my Norton AntiVirus a few times that didn't find any infection). One thing I can also mention is when I run a Spybot check, after about halfway through, it shuts down my computer yet again. It's just been confusing and I have no clue what's causing it. Any help would be appreciated.

I'm running a 2.66GHz, 512MB RAM, 45GB HD, Windows XP Professional.

Thanks!

Check this

I don't have XP but check your Control Panel/Power options.
I set all mine to "never"
This should do it.please reply.

Attachments

• msofficebarscrewed.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 39
That's actually one of the things I checked (unfortunately, they're all set to "Never"). Thanks though! I still kinda think it's some spyware I somehow got to my computer. I'll try running both Adaware and Spybot again.

Meh, what the heck, I'll try that :p I'll try anything!

I just ran Adaware and it found 9 things that I quickly removed from my computer. Then, I ran Spybot and my computer shut down again. Sooo confusing!! Maybe spybot is causing it? But how can a program that's not even running do wonders like that?

Yep, did a virus check, nothing was caught

Deleted all cookies in my temp folder and it's still shutting down :'(

Now I'm starting to think maybe I should install another OS (Win 98SE?) in my partitioned drive and just run that instead of XP...

Just before that .. what are ur system temperatures like ?

Though it shouldn't happen when system is idle .. Just to make sure it's not an heat issue ...check the temps out

Just another thing ..have u installed any screensavers which are basically hardware accelarated(3d ones)

please try the following steps
-go to the system properties-devicemgr
-go to the view at the top
choose the option-show hidden devices
-click on system devices
-uninstall the 1st three devices
-would ask u to reboot
-may fix the problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom