HardDrive Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diddy

Beta member
Hello,

I'm having harddrive problems. I am not to knowledgeable on installing new harddrives and I think I need some help. My problem is this: I have three hard drives and I can't seem to get them to work. My current status: When I turn on my computer the monitor gets no signal? What does this mean? No BIOS??

Before problem:

I have an ATA/66 controller card with two IDE channels. I had a 40 conductor IDE cable connecting the two drives. Things were working all right except I should have had a 80 conductor cable.

Problem started when:

I disconnected the cables and tried to install the third harddrive.

I tried every combination. I was not too knowledgeable on master/slave jumper settings so that might have been the problem. But then I left my HD that came with the computer alone on the IDE channel and it still wouldn't work. I'm afraid I messed up my motherboard somehow.

Again the problem right now is: No video signal. Even when the monitor is connected properly and everything seems normal. What can be the problem... I need help badly. I do not want to buy another computer.

Thanks in advance to anyone who replies.

On Card

I'm trying to add it to the secondary channel on the the controller card. I'll try some things out today when I get home and hopefully it will work.

Is there another reason why there could be no signal to the monitor?

Diddy it may be telling you to use a 80pin cable. the difference between 40 cable and 80 cable is the 80 is slim and the 40 is fatter wires. goto a store and buy a new cable. after that set all devices to cable select or master/slave. do not mix cable select with master slave on the same cable

Diddy, when you were reconnecting the IDE cables, did you accidentally hook them up wrong? One of the wires on the IDE cable should be colored. This needs to be hooked to Pin 1 on the hard drives, which is closest to where the power hooks up to the drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom