Ghetto gaming challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

SomethingWicked

Baseband Member
Hello All
Been reading the forums for sometime, leared from you all (thanks) and now I figured it was time for my first post.

I'm a flight instructor up in Canada and due to the weather...not working so much so this build is gunna be on a budget.

My ideas so far ......

250gb Wester dig HD

Opteron 147 cpu

1 gb OCZ

mobo....undecided

Geforce 6800 Ultra

I'm open to any and all suggestions..... especially if it'll help build a better / faster comp as long as your not going to try to convince me to take out another bank loan (they have my picture on the wall under which states .... NO MORE FOR THIS GUY)

Thanks for reading and any input you might have

Cheers: =SW=

that seems to be a good start. Make sure your HDD is SATA and make sure the OCZ ram you buy is a Dual Channel (2x 512mb) kit. Now will you be wanting SLI (using 2 Graphics Cards to make stuff run faster) in the future? Also make sure you buy a motherboard with the Nforce4 Chipset.

And unless you are planning on overclocking, you won't need a opteron. The reason why they are so popular is because it's been discovered as a good overclocker. If your not interested in overclocking stick to a nice Athlon 64 3700+ San Diego. Or possibly a Athlon X2 3800+ Dual Core.

Motherboards:
Overclocking : DFI Lanparty UT
No Overclocking: MSI Neo4 Platinum.

Opteron 147? Do you mean 146 or 148? There is no 147. Don't get a 6800 ultra, they are such a waste, get a 7800GT which will totally kill the ultra, or if that is to expensive, get a 6800GS which overclocks like a dream, and it beats the 6800 ultra when overclocked on stock cooling, and it's like $150 cheaper. For overclocking, get a DFI LanParty UT nF4 Ultra-d motherboard. And for overclocking RAM, get this:

1gb:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820227211

2gb:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820146425

Sorry yes the CPU is the 148 I'm hoping for a 0542 / 3 CABYE as I am hoping to do some overclocking to keep up with CPU requirements in the future. Would you suggest anything other than the 148 ?
I just looked at teh 6800 GS ...nice card...if the money isn't there for the 7800GT it's now at the top of the list.

=SW=

Ok...been doing alot of searching and what I'm stuck on right now is ...... would it be worth ...or simply retarded to buy an XFX 7800gtx ? I mean I would completely blow my buget to **** and be forced to eat raimen noodles for breakfast and dinner...not just dinner for about a year.... Can you get the 6800 GS up to 490 Mhz and 1.3 Ghz ?

=SW=

Just get like an eVGA 7800GT as the GTX only gaves a few fps gains :confused:

either get the MSI K8N NEo4-F or DFI UT NF4 ultra-D :) if you want to do some decent OC'ing

If you want ram to be running with your cpu, you will need to invest in some nice ram, everyone will recommend OCZ to OC.

Remeber get a decent psu. Sometimes if your psu fails it will bring some parts of your computer down with it, and you dont want that to happen with your 400 dollar video card!

Ok...GPU solved.

Now as for the Opteron, is the 148 a good choice for the $$$ and performance or is there something beefier I should be looking at ?

=SW=

Well if you really want to OC then get the Opteron 148 or 146, if not the 3700+ is a nice choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom