Air cooling or water cooling?

Status
Not open for further replies.

adiosk8

Baseband Member
I have a 3800 dual core right now that I want to take up pretty high ( atleast 2.8 and up ) and im not sure wether I should go air cooling or water cooling.

I would imagine ultimetly water cooling would be better, but does it give me that much more then a extreme air cooling heat sink? what do you guys think?

Consider price and performance too.

Water cooling will be much better when it comes to load temps. You might also look into chilled water cooling. Keep in mind however, that no matter how good your cooling is, there is no guarantee that you will get it to 2.8GHz.

It really depends on the amount of heat your computer will give out. If u want to buya very big airfan it will be not much more expensive to buy water cooling. I would go with water-cooling.

yeah, I was leaning toward water cooling anyways..

but dont they have the 3800 dual core past 3 ghz easily?

No they don't not that I'm aware of. 3Ghz on a 3800+ thats pushing the limates.

I'd also go for air as it's more standard at this time but the cutting edge is never a bad thing but I'd wait for it to become more common.

If you go with water cooling make sure you make all the connection on PERFECTLY, my friend didnt and he payed for it big time, water leaking on his mobo, took over a month to get his new one back. With that said theres the maintenance but my friend says it's worth it he has his P4 Prescott **** high i forget how much bet he has it up there.

Water cooling is terrible for expensive systems.....you get a leak and your whole system is fried, and if you have no GFCI...then your whole house is fried.....and if you have 220......you have a good chance of dying.....your better off with fans

Liquid cooling is a lot better.
Check out FluidXp+ or other glycerin based non-conductive coolants.
I think FluidXP+ is the most promising thought....I remember a test where they ran a laptop completely submerged in it.....

I swear i think we have some retards around here.... Water = Liquid, anyone that is smart enough knows to put things in there water. But ANY liquid getting onto a part is bad... The board would soak the liquid up and if it dont dry soon its destroyed...

Yeah, many retards on the forum....I agree
Water is not equal to liquid
Liquid is a state
Water is H20
Water is equal to H20
Water can be in a liquid state
Basic Chemistry....

Anyways
Flourinert, which usually is in liquid state, is also pretty nice.
Most cooling systems using this have the board COMPLETELY SUBMERGED.
Only moving parts are affected by the submersion, therefore your hds must be outside the fishtank......

I think its called passive immersion cooling

The only thing left to do is figure out how to put fish in it......

There was a thread here on TF awhile ago where some people took an old computer and then submerged it under canola oil. It ran fine and had cool temps.

But if you dont want to go to that extreme, look into the vantec tornadoes or other high volume fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom