chrismas emergency

Status
Not open for further replies.
There seems to be a short somewhere................
Check to make sure that the board is floating on the AT\ATX mounting plate......mounted to the risers.

Make sure you have connected all power cords to the board.
p4 socket(amd uses it now too) + atx socket \+ atx backup(if your board supports it).

Make sure that your processor is installed correctly.....

Make sure that your ram is installed properly......

Make sure that your new board is not set to clearCMOS
Some manufacturers set it to clearCMOS during shipping...make sure to move the jumper into regular mode.

If the CMOS hasn't been cleared, follow your manual and clear it.

Check all your other jumpers with the manuals

Check the CMOS battery, make sure its not dead.

Did you wear a grounding clip when you installed the parts. If not...you may have accidentally gaussed you pc.

Make sure the power button doesnt stick.
You could always make the pin connection with a paper clip or jumper but make sure you know what you are doing........
I've had a similar problem with last pc. I had a silverstone case.
Basically, everything was connected correctly but the aluminum button would stick in and the computer would turn on for 5 seconds and turn off.

Make sure you check all the connections from the front panel( power sw, reset sw, leds, speaker, etc...)

Read post codes....if it even goes into post......or get a post card because they can id problems a lot better than onboard post.

Hard drives do not need to be formatted, even with a major hardware change in NT, assuming you are running a nt based OS. That the point of a PNP OS.

If the PSU was overloaded, the machine wouldn't start at all. I've had this happen to me, and the way to fix this is usually to just disconnect 1 device...depending on how much the device uses.

If all else fails, you may have faulty components(especiall if purchased at Fry's electronics)

I think the operating system gurus up top are confused. Windows XP and 2000 tend to be more 'secure.' windows spits out upgrades and you have to reformat. In MY experience, windows 98 just sucks down the new processor and moves on. It's security stuff and your story is backwards.

Ryan

well heres a more detail story since he found out yesterday and was happy =].

the cpu is a Pentium 4 3.0ghz Socket 775.
the mobo is a Asus AiLife P5WD2.
the ram is 512mb x 2 DDR2 5400 PQI Turbo.
And a ATi x300se < -- no gaming :].

so yeah. those are the specs, i put everything in, checked the pin connectors, i got the 20 pin in the 24 slot, 4 pin in the 4 slot, button on is not sticky. i took the battery out and put it back in. then i turn it on... ASUS AiLife Logo, it checks and boots everything on the black screen, then when it comes to the screen Windows is supposed to load on, it turns off, sometimes it turns off before then, aprox 3-5 secs after the comp is turned on.

also, its a POS power supply, i was also wandering how am i supposed to format the hardrive if i cant even go anywhere on the comp? well 5 secs xD

with asus i know that it is safe to run a 20pin into a 24 pin connector thats how i do it with mine.

so you guys think i dont needa buy a new power supply? just reformat my hd? so far thats my conclusion but i have no idea how im going to format the hd if the comp cant even stay on long enough to do antyhing =[

no you dont have to reformat just do a repair install it will save his data.Do u know how to do a repair install.
and for who said you cant switch between amd and intel with windows working with out a reformat thats bull. I have switched a p3 550 to a skt A atholn 1900+ i did a repair install on that system.
also a new psu would not hurt

thank you so much matt, thats almost same sit as me cept i upgrade from p3 to p4. so i was wandering, how do u do this repair install?.. even when the comp only has 4 secs of life when it turns on?

well i think its the psu crapping out on you get another one

here is how to do one

# Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.
# When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see the options below

This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft
Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.
# Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER. do not choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console). I repeat, do not choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R".
# Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.
# Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair. If Repair is not one of the options, read this Warning#2!
# Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot. Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears. Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

from this site

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom