do two cpu's add up to double the speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeForz

Solid State Member
a bunch of sh@T came up and now i cant build my computer i wanted to. so i am back at step one.i was just wonderd if say for example two p3's running at 933mhz added up to be around 1.8ghz of pentium 3. i guess thats where i will start. thanks alot.

The two cpus divide up the work. One application goes on one cpu and then the next app goes onto the second cpu. The apps are diveded between the two cpus. This is how dual cores work. The point of it is too be able to multi task without taking up too much porcessing power and thus it increases performance.

so a video game for example, only one cpu would run the game while the other one does nothing? im just curious cus i am trying to build a cheap gaming pc.

I know how you feel, bro, I really do. I know what it's like to want a high end gaming PC and not be able to afford it. However, like anything in life, it's gonna cost you. No way around it. Simply put, if you want a decent gaming rig, you have to pay decent money for it.
You can try tweaking the rig you have, and you can get a bit more performance out of it. Try slapping some more RAM in it, you can never have too much memory. Besides, memory isn't that expensive and it really will breathe new life into your rig.
Anyway, I hope you find a solution to your problem.

True, right now when playing a game it will only utilize one cpu. When games come out that are mult-threaded, then it will utilize dual cores.

If your on a tight budget, go with a single core. I am too on a budget so i bought a single core and that will work fine for awhile.

yeah thats what kind of situation i am in rite now. i have a dell (pos) there is no way to get this to a gaming rig. it has a p3 866 cpu 128 mb ram, and only about 6 gigs left of hard drive. so this computer is hopeless. i am bidding on two cpus online. here they are, please tell me what you guys think.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6833621161&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEBI:IT&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6833224588&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&rd=1

the first one is a p4 1.8 ghz and the second one is a celeron 2.30 with fan and heatsink. any thoughts on these for a simple gaming rig would be greatly appreciated. thanks alot.

I am very uncomfortable buying any type of computer parts from people on Ebay, especially used ones. This is a disappointment waiting to happen. Your choice though, after all, it's your money.
I'd forget the Celeron for gaming, it just dosen't have the muscle for it. Celerons are for casual computer users who don't get into gaming like a lot of us here on TF. The P4 is a different story though, if it's in decent condition, it'll make a decent brain for a gaming rig.
Anyway, neither of the sellers you are dealing with are Powersellers, and in terms of selling on Ebay, they're both newbies, less than 1000 unique auctions completed. If a seller dosen't have that Powerseller tag, I'm not bidding for much over $20 on anything, it's just too risky. Anyway, that's just me, I hope it works out and you get a good deal.
Good luck.

alrite, i hope that the celeron goes over 20 bucks, cause that is my maximum bid and i wont have to buy it. but the pentium i think will prob go up a ways. i wasent looking to spend over 50 bucks on it. i just hope no one sees it or wants it. please someone buy that celeron before it is to late and i have half the money to spend on the p4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom