Router for new computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

scentless

Beta member
Hey all. I'm going to sound like an idiot, but anyway. I'm buying a new computer (for my bedroom). I've allready got a computer in another part of the house with a DSL modem (plugged into the phone line), because DSL is all that's available in my area. With my new computer upstairs, would I need to buy like a router or something to get internet access to my upstairs computer? How do they work, anyway? If you can't allready tell, I know nothing about routers. Thanks.

-Tom

There are a couple solutions.

-----------
Connect the modem via usb to your old computer.
Connect the ethernet to your new computer.
------------
To use a wired router
You have to have ethernet networking cards or ethernet ports on both computers
Plug modem to to router via ethernet.
Plug old and new computer to router via ethernet.
------------
To use a wifi connection with a wireless rounter
You will need to install wireless cards on both computers
And a wireless router
-----------
To use a 1-to-1 wifi connection
You will need 2 wifi cards, no router needed(router is preferred)
-------------
You could use the old computer as a server.
This is what is use and its easier because my old comp is not that old...its 2.0ghz with XP pro......Its just better to have one firewall on your network.......
Connect modem to your old comp...preferably by ethernet.
Install another ethernet card on your old comp.
Plug new computer into this extra ethernet slot.
----
My network is illustrated below so you can get an idea.....
Everything is wired....except where indictated

Linksys Cable Modem -> Server -> Linsys Wired router -> This PC
|
Linksys Wired\Wireless Router
| Wifi |
Media PC Laptop

Going with the wifi idea, would it be possible to plug the wireless router into my original modem using an ethernet port and just install a wireless card in the new computer?

That would work but in order to have the old comp get internet (if you don't install a Wireless card in it) you need to make sure the wireless router has ethernet ports to hook the old comp into. Other than that you should be fine.

Well the modem has a USB port as well as an Ethernet port. Currently the USB port is pluged into the old comp, so I should be able to plug the ethernet into the wireless router, right?

Yea, that would be the way to go. Most all wireless routers come with about 4 ethernet ports anyway so you could go ether way for the old computer (through the Modem or router)

I'd go with one of the linksys routers but then again...any router should be fine.....
All wireless routers have wired connections.
Wireless access points(which should be called wireless routers) do not.

Wireless connections are considerably slower than wired connections.
Top - standard - wired speed found on wired routers is 100mbps.
Top - business - wired speed found on wired routers is 1000mbps.

The 10\100\1000mbps routers are consumer available and do not cost much more than a regular 10\100mbps router.

I have not seen a wireless router at 1000 mbps and thats why there are access points. If you run a 1000mbps connection through a wireless router....then everything wired going through that router will only have a 100 mbps connection....therefore wifi access points are a much more economical solution for a business since wifi standards seem to change continously....probably go through the whole alphabet by 2010.

I plan to upgrade my network components to 2 wired 10\100\1000 linksys routers and 1 access point myself.
The wiring is the same because I used CAT5e when i wired my home for 10\100.

You really dont need 1000 if you dont do heavy transfers across networks like I do.

Better wireless routers like the linksys will have better signal strength and reliance because of packet chaining and packet redundancy technologies. Also, linksys wifi cards that offer the same packet chaining technology will even offer better quality signals.

Most common wifi standards
A = 5ghz
B = 2.4ghz
G = 2.4ghz

A = 54mbps max
B = 11mbps max
G = 54mbps max

G is backwards compatible with B and will work with B and G devices on the same network with the same router\wifi access point at the same time.

There are a couple more standards and a few higher speed standards on the horizon but most devices are A\B\G world wide.

Also, the frequencies are FCC certified but may get interference from cordless phones which operate on the same frequencies as the wifi.
I suggest that you cycle the channels on you phones and router if you do get interference. There is also floor and wall interference if you have wiring in the walls or lead paint.....Also, dont forget to encrypt your network.
The defaults for wifi router\access points are usually channels 5-6 and the wifi is left wide open.....

Try to get a B\G router, and G wifi cards
There are also A\B\G routers if you want to fully compliant.

Cool. I think I'll jsut go with the ADSL modem pluged into the old comp via usb and pluged into the router via ethernet, then install a wireless card in the new comp. Thanks for all your help.

-Tom W.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom