Heatsink problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

biggjoee5790

In Runtime
i have an amd 3700+ i am installing on an EVGA Mobo. the processor went in fine but the measurement on the clips of the heatsink seem to be a bit off. i managed to get them clipped in with some force... but now because its tighter than normal.. the lever that locks down wont go. if the only function of the lever is tightening and my heatsink is already really tight, can i just forget about the lever and leave it alone?

Well normally it's supposed to be a pretty tight fit. Is there anything blocking the arm? You may want to try and re-seat the Heat sink.

flyboychuckles said:
Well normally it's supposed to be a pretty tight fit. Is there anything blocking the arm? You may want to try and re-seat the Heat sink.

i took it off once an redid it but its the same thing... let me explain exactly whats happening. there is a metal bar that goes through the heatsink..on the ends of the bar are the 2 clips on each side. it seems like they are a bit to tight... i managed to get them clipped in with a little extra force. now they are clipped in just as they normally should be. the only difference is because something was a little off, they are clipped on extra tight. the arm thats supposed to tighten them wont go down because its already too tight. i know that the heatsink is making a good connection with the CPU because the first time i took the heatsink off. i could see that the thermal paste was evenly spread on the CPU. so i just dont know if putting that arm down is necessary. it seems like the heatsink is as tight as the arm would make it.. but without the arm being down. i think that the small mistake in measurement is making it just as tight as the arm would.. im nowhere near an expert so im not sure.. just my guess

Sorry biggjoee5790,

I don't know what else to tell you. Maybe a hammer.......err.....or not. It could be the mobo design, but I thought they had to follow standard socket specs. As long as the heatsink doesn't move or fall off then you maybe alright.

Possibly we could get more insight from others in the forum.

yea.. i was thinking that if it doesnt move than its ok.. i checked out another pc with the lever down and its just as tight as mine. ill be booting up a little later ... if the temp stays good and theres no problems.. im not gonna mess with it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom