Eeek! Worried about PSU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greg

Indeed.
Eeek! Worried about PSU *solved*

I was lying on my bed when I noticed that the fans in my computer started going faster and slower (I could tell by listening), and the case fan dimmed and got brighter randomly. The two case fans are molex, so the motherboard controlling the speeds wouldn't be the reason why it is doing this. I do have two fans controlled by the mobo (the CPU fan and a fan blowing on the harddrive) and these I believe are set to change according to the temperature. I never noticed it doing anything like this before, and im kinda worried. Is it the PSUs fault, or would the two other fans varying speeds cause the power to fluxuate (sp?) enough to make the case fans change speeds? At one point it sounded like all of the fans pretty much shut off and then immediately turned back on.

I apologize for the lengthy post, but I really appreciate any replies.

Thanks,
~Greg

Well, i'm almost 90% sure that if you're PSU was to blame and was causing your voltages to drop that much effecting your FANS like that, your PC would have crashed far before that.

The best way to check a PSU is with a multimeter. They range in price and a decent one will cost only $40.00.

Okay, I have a cheap $3.00 multimeter that I got on sale, and as far as I can tell it's accurate, so I'll check it today. I see you point about the PSU, so what else could it be?

Ah, I figured it out. When I opened up the case to test it with the mulitmeter the fan shut off completely, so I moved the cord and it turned back on. Turns out it's just a crappy case fan that was causeing the problem. I taped the cord to the side of the case for now, and I will pick up a new fan next chance I get.

Thanks for the help, Havoc, you were right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom